Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air intake systems

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research, and didn't find the exact one, but I went to K&N's web site and did a search using the dimensions of the filter it self and found one that is real close.
The P/N I listed below would the closest to the one I have, the only difference is the flange I.D. on mine is 2.875, the one listed is 2.750, an 1/8 (.125) smaller
The filter is in the "X-Stream" filter group, meaning that the nose is a filter also, not just a steel or rubber cap. Plus it has a mounting hole, and I used it to mount the filter to the inner fender well.

RX-4870 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
Base Outside Diameter: 6 in (152 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 2.75 in (70 mm)
Flange Length: 2 in (51 mm)
Flange Type: Centered
Height: 6.5 in (165 mm)
Top Outside Diameter: 5 in (127 mm)
Top Style: X-Stream
Top Material/Finish: None
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.16 oz (34 ml)
Weight: 1.4 lb (0.7 kg)

I copyed these specs. from K&N's web site.

There were listings for a 2.875 flange I.D. filters that were not the
X-stream type filter. All the dimensions matched to the one I listed above,
but they'd just have a chrome cap at the end, plus it might be less expensive too.

Hope this info helps ya...

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
tregora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: true flow foam filter Reply with quote

i have a true flow foam 5.5x9 filter that i purchased from rustysoffroad.com. allong with the rustys intake system that uses one bolt and two claps to attach it after removing the stock airbox. the filter was $38 and the rustys air tube was 30. definatly a cheap ay to go. i opted for this setup for a couple of reasons. 1st is that it doesnt cost $200 or more as with the other systems. 2nd the foam that the filter is made of does not alow the fine dust to pass through and still gives u a high air flow volume. 3rd the filter uses a similar cleaning and oil system as k&n and is reusable.

it does sound different (it gives it a deeper tone) and i can notice a difference in the power that it gives me. i am concerned about taking on water when im wheeling in the deep mud but for the most part i have not run into problems. i recently did a stream crossing where the water came up do the doorjam and when i entered the steam was pretty high on the radiator and had no problems

my future mods for the intake are to do a derivitive of the macb cowl intake writeup. what i want to do is make a waterproof box that will mount above the engine and be supported by the radiator brackets, as well accept my true flow filter and have a removable lid for filter cleaning. from the box i would run a short intake into the cowl. also what i wanted to do was to use a air scoop over the cowl intake and custom cut a foam filter to fit the space between the hood and the top of the air scoop. if i do i will post pics for everyone to see.

here is a link to a test video of the tru flow filters.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3895609798566646028&q=trueflow

and a link for tru flows example dyno sheet.
http://www.trueflow.com/docs/dyno/filter.pdf

hope this gives u some options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: