Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 and up XJ heater not heating floor

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceman153

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That arm is exactly what was missing from my car Smile Have you ever tried removing that arm from the car??

I ask as i went to a wrecker this morning to grab that arm, as you said that yours just clicks into place, i figured it should just click out as well! Not the case, as i told the guy it should just pop out, we removed detached the servo from the arm, no matter how we wiggled it wouldn't come off easily, so he gave it a little force and the little "keyway" inside the arm snapped off, so i can see what shape it should be, i just need to frabricate something...

I think the reason yours keeps popping out is because it's actually broken, your just lucky that the entire "keyway" inside the arm didn't break off like the one did this morning. These arms aren't meant to come off, there is probably some plastic retainer on the end of the key to stop the arm from coming out. All you need to do is rig something up to press the arm tightly to the vent.

Would you mind removing your arm and taking a picture of the key that turns the vent? It would also let you see how it's damaged.

Thanks!
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember, the arm does come off because I think I remember looking at the clip inside. This was awhile ago so maybe I'm not remembering correctly. The last thing I did was put a piece of metal to hold it in but it has worked loose anyways. I'm not sure when I'll have a minute to get in there again but will see what I can do. How can yours be totally missing?

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
iceman153

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea where mine went, it's been like this ever since i bought the car a year ago. I have a feeling whoever the previous owner got to install the alarm/CD deck accidentally broke it off and just chucked the peice. This is why I always do those types of installs myself Razz

Wow, if it actually does have a clip i should go back to the wrecker and work something out. Was there any special trick to getting it to come out? I'm very curious to see what yours looks like Smile

For now i actually found a Chop Stick that seems to be exactly the right size to fit into the key in the vent. I just have to file out a square in the vent arm for it to sit in, apply a little super glue, and i should be good. So painful, all of this because of a little peice of plastic. Hope this works, otherwise I'll have to find a way to rig the vent to have defrost permanently on. at least then i could see!

Mark
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, the thing is far enough back you wouldn't think someone could break it but I guess you never know. Mine always clicks back in when I push on it and is as snug as can be, that's why I think there's a clip on there. I think the pull of the actuator puts enough torque on it that it slowly works it's way out. You can actually see it bend on mine. Maybe I'll try the video part of my camera for this.

JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

I took the radio out today to look at the vacuum arm. Everything is still clipped in tightly and moving as it should. I guess the piece of metal I screwed in there is holding the arm in well enough. Sorry iceman153, no extra pics to show because I didn't want to disturb the setup while it's working. I thought I was receiving less heat at the floor as of late but maybe that's just the was the XJ is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: