Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Highway DeathWobble. Suggestions? Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Modfatha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Highway DeathWobble. Suggestions? Help Reply with quote

Ok.. I am vaguely firmiliar with death wobble and our new 2000 XJ seems to be developing it and getting worse.

It seems like at about 50mph it will do it and start shuddering and shacking all up through the steering and suspension to my arms. Its very unnerving and getting worse. The tires seem pretty worn but have some meat left on them.

What could have caused this to get progressingly worse and worse over the past few weeks? Where should I start for my troubleshooting. I know you guys here know way more than I do about xj's and jp's so please advise. You have way more xp with this stuff than me and my wife. Thanks Razz
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it stock or lifted? When were the tires last balanced? Has it been aligned recently?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Modfatha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock.. complete stock.. 68k miles on it... not sure of recent services.. im sure its been a while since its been aligned.. what are the stock tires (make/model) ...
Venomized

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air pressure, rotation, balance, alignment. Try in that order to see if things help. Brake inspection and complete suspension inspection are warranted.

A lot say to replace the steering stabilizer but that really only masks the problem.

2001 WJ, not much stuff

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE, fun toy
Mark Eskra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: wobble Reply with quote

I'v got 200k on mine, check your axle bearings...they're press fit, old ones have to be air hammered out-get someone who knows how or you'll have a real mess...
mellemel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through this problem on my 98 with 160000 miles.It got so bad that the tires would be bouncing off the pavement.replaced track bar and steering stabilizer mechanic went through 3 new track bars before problem was fixed.
87laredo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be as simple as mud buildup in your wheels. That makes a wild vibration.
luvthatsound40

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Death wobble Reply with quote

I had it bad too at 60 mph. I had all my tires re-balanced and rotated and the problem has gone away. 75 mph and smooth now.
-=die trying=-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like you wheels are doing a left to right shimmy kinda....

My XJ just started the same thing, only thing that looks out of place on mine is one of the steering tie rod ends tooks to be in real bad shape, i don't know how to check them though. ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: