Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flushed the heater core - What's the Brown junk?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gniederg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Flushed the heater core - What's the Brown junk? Reply with quote

I've been having trouble keeping hot air in my (new to me) Jeep. It's a 98 Cherokee Sport so I don't have the plastic heater valve under the hood. The top hose leading to the heater core was hot - the bottom hose coming from the eater core was .....luke warm. The mode valve works great, the blower fan works great, the hot/cold valve works great. And i doesn't overheat. Preasure test reveals NO leaks. I had the heater core flushed nd they said a lot of brawn junk came out. And I had heat.

Well, that lasted a week .... I flushed the heater core - and I got heat again. for a few days.

I replaced the Radiator cap and put in a new thermastat. Still the top hose was hot and the bottom hose was .....luke warm.

I had the heater core and the block flushed.... Brown junk came out and ........ I have heat.

But now - it's starting to blow a little less than hot .... What can I do? And where is that brown junk coming from ?
95sahara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown junk is rust. It's coming out of the radiator and heater core. Also, does your Jeep have red (orange) coolant? If so, get it all flushed out and refill it with good old ethylene glycol (green antifreeze). I've never had any luck, nor have I seen anyone have any luck with any antifreeze other than the good ole green stuff. It sounds like the rust is flaking off inside your heater core and plugging it up after about a week of driving. You'll probably eventually get it all flushed out and be okay, provided you don't spring any leaks anywhere, in which case you'll replace the faulty parts and have a good cooling system again anyway, so it may not be a bad thing.
PICS
Gniederg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was beginning to worry that I might never resolve this issue, so "Thanks".

I bought the Jeep from the original owner (In Pittsburgh). I can't say if he ever ran the orange stuff but it's all green now. When I had it flushed this last time at (Grove City Jeep auto mall) they were concerned he may have used "Stop Leak" but they were quite positive he did NOT after it all came out brown.

When I go to flush the block and heater core myself - where should I attach my garden hose?

Thanks Again !
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever think maybe the heater core was fine and maybe it was the radiator? Just curious. I have a '91 XJ and replaced most of the cooling after I had a overheating issue and then a no-heat inside issue like yours. I noticed alot of brown gunk "rust" after removing my old plastic rad. I went with an all metal, copper, aluminum 3row heavy duty rad. for under $150 w/ship off of e-bay. Waterpump was replaced last year but double checked that as I heard some are reverse rotation. Added new thermostat for 11 bucks and gasket as well as replaced the hoses. Also had a shot heater valve which was the problem for no heat inside. So now she's running like a champ and I'm only out about 3 hours time and around $200 bucks. Money well spent. For under 25 bones you might want to look into replacing the heater valve just for the heck of it. Radiators are less than a hundred for an O.E. 2 row or 149 for the extreme and not the stock plastic junk. Hope any of this helps, good luck! Very Happy
Gniederg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advice. Someone from JeepsUnlimited suggested that very thing....however the 98's don't have em. I don't know what year they stopped putting in heater valvs. And it already has a black metal radiator. It's still the 2 row radiator - though, I think.

It still has some heat - since flushing the block and heater core last Friday.... it's holding a bit better this time than it did the last time.

Thanks and I appreciate your help!
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's great. A little heat is better than no heat I guess depending on where you are...haha I didn't know they stopped with the valves around 96 or 98 so sorry about that but was trying to point you in the not so expensive to replace, category. LOL Very Happy What about the heater core itself? Did they think maybe that could be it? I saw them on e-bay for under $40 bucks but was dreading it if that was what was wrong. I "DO NOT" like contorting my body and trying to get up under the dash on my jeep. Not exactly space friendly, if you know what I mean. But if you got the patience and the few dollars, wouldn't hurt to replace the core as well...? Who knows, try to stay warm. haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: