Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

this sucks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Owen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DozerDan wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:

Prejudice and stereotypes make me sick. You have both thoroughly made me livid. Get my point?

wow man step back and take a deep breath.

Just imagine you put an insane amount of effort into something over a period of 7 years just to hear that you bought your friends, and that all fraternities are full of guys that believe the fraternity is more important than your dead grandmother... it absolutely ridiculous. You are making assumptions and generalizations about something you have never been a part of from heresay and a couple of isolated incidents...

I have no tolerance for stereotypes or prejudice... sorry. Evil or Very Mad
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Chaos wrote:
[

I have no tolerance for stereotypes or prejudice... sorry. Evil or Very Mad

you said that already, 3 times i think. And i have explained that its not like that.

you like you frat, good great grand. I think its a total joke and plan to continue my feelings. Im sorry that you cant accept that someone has a difference of opinion from you.

Its not prejudice so stop saying it is bc you wrongly using the same word over and over is 'thoroughly making me livid'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a New Jersey thing or can anyone join in?

Not that I want to join in as I have no experience of fraternity thingies being a limey bastard after all.

I would just like all parties to consider their choice of words in this debate carefully and thoughtfully, it's a difference of opinion not WW III.
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJeeper wrote:

I would just like all parties to consider their choice of words in this debate carefully and thoughtfully, it's a difference of opinion not WW III.

yeh the parties are fun, free beer and girls. Last year i had alot of fun at this one frats parties.. every party was a new girl... ah fun times
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carefully chosen my words. I am basing my opinions on what I have seen from having friends in the organizations, dealing with the organizations, etc. I wasn't saying YOU, owen, were anything. I was saying that, in GENERAL, franternaties and sororities as organizations were not something I would ever persue. I know folks that were ousted because they couldn't pay their dues. That isn't paying for friends? That is loyalty?

I have a basis for my opinion. And voicing my opinion is no worse than you calling GT a puppy killer over and over in a different thread that comes to mind. I used no vulgarities, I incited no violence, and I didn't condone causing any problems for those that disagreed.

If you want me to be more specific, I will : Fraternaties USED TO be about brotherhood and connections. Many have now become social power trips and places for folks to party. Sororities too. A few may fall outside that realm, but far too many of the ones that friends of mine belonged to didn't.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of agree with Owen on this one. Your not buying friends, I was friends with the brothers of Phi Tau years before I joined. They didn't need my money, they wanted me as a brother to make it official, make me one of them. I love it, and am glad that I did it. All the old cliches are just that, cliches. The fact that Owen and I are from different Fraternities we share a bond of experienceing something that is rich in tradition and very special, it is the same thing that Matt (KygreenYj) will go through when he joins Lambda Chi. My childhood best friend will never have the bond that I have with my (fraternity) brothers. Only because we both share something special.
Only 2% of the male population is in Fraternity and of that 2%, 80% Ceo's or owners of the buisness' in the Forbes 500. Does that make sense, I might have explained it wrong.

My Morning Jacket
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:

Only 2% of the male population is in Fraternity and of that 2%, 80% Ceo's or owners of the buisness' in the Forbes 500. Does that make sense, I might have explained it wrong.

That makes sence But the same #'s applie to Eagle Scouts. But Ill argue that when it comes to Eagle Scouts those numbers are more legit. Its not getting a job or a possition because in college you were part of some frat. Getting a job bc the owner of the company was in the same frat is nothing to brag about in my opinion.

I prefer to do things for myself and earn things for myself.
Owen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are displaying prejudice as well as sterotypical views... both of you.. Both of you offended me on some level... As leaders of this site you shoud be a lot more careful waht kinds of statements you make about groups of people regardless of your personal views. You represent Jeep horizons and its members.

I find it very hypocritical of Dan to go the parties of the fraternities he so vehemently despises but that is besides the point...

Bottom line neither of you know what you are talking about so you should not generalize it for the rest of THIS group that you represent as moderators.

On a side note since Candi brought it up:
Me calling GT a puppy killer was nothing to do with me stereotyping a GROUP of people... I never said anything to you or about any group your are in (unless you are in a puppy killing cult) I think that unless you are completely free of a sense of humor you could see that I was playing more than being serious. She knows it and we are friends on and off the forum.

prej∑u∑dice ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prj-ds)
n.

An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
A preconceived preference or idea.

ster∑e∑o∑type ( P ) Pronunciation Key (str--tp, stÓr-)
n.
A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.
Owen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am done with this conversation after this post...

societies such as fraternities and sororities operate in secret for the most part so waht you see on the outside is often a facade of what really goes on. If you truly believe you could understand the true meaning of sister / brotherhood from an outside view you are truly mistaken. I believe any member of a decent organaization would back up this statement (like any type of group there are exceptions, but they generally don't last long). I can respect your opinions based your limited knowledge but don't go around making generalizations... some of us take great pride in our fraternities and sororities and they are lifetime commitments. I have MDCCCXXXII tattooed on my chest and will never forget the experiences and friendships I made as an undergrad and the ones I make as an Alumni... Most people don't even keep corespondance with their friends from college... I run a forum for my brothers and keep in touch with almost all of them from my stay at UMass...

There are currently members of my fraternity that hold very high politcal office including Senators... Both Roosevelts were brothers... there is a history no independant could ever understand.

I have made an oath to my Brothers alive and dead that I would not allow people to ever be-little what we have tried so hard to create even against great odds. This is my reasoning for my strong opinion that is soley based on experience, history and pride.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter who Candi, Dan, or Owen are (mods, admin, members, etc) they are entitled to their opinions. Obviously there is disagreement on this subject and nobody is going to see the others' point of views. If anybody has further thoughts they would like to share with each other, take it to PM's. Thanks.
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
No matter who Candi, Dan, or Owen are (mods, admin, members, etc) they are entitled to their opinions. Obviously there is disagreement on this subject and nobody is going to see the others' point of views. If anybody has further thoughts they would like to share with each other, take it to PM's. Thanks.

No prob. Cool
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Enough, it's my section I'm going to lock it, after I've had MY say. I dont have an opinion on Fraternities, the only thing I know is from watching Animal House and Porkies therefore I am strictly neutral on the issue. I do not agree with Owen on the matter of Candi and Dan not being able to express their personal opinion. At NO time did Dan or Candi use their super mod powers in this difference of opinion. I sincerely hope you can all kiss and make up and put this matter to rest.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: