Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High Flow Air Filter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrahamZuber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: High Flow Air Filter Reply with quote

Ok, so I recently bought an 89 Cherokee... I think it's like a pioneer edition or something. Anyways, the previous owner installed a flowmaster and said that if I were to install a conical filter, I would improve horse power and gas mileage. Thing is, all of the kits that work with 89 cherokee's just connect a tube (needed for connections for vacuums and what not) to the existing air tube, which is not as efficient considering the shape of the existing tube cuts down on air flow. That's what the kits I can find look like.

I was wondering if you guys knew of a place that I could find an applicable high air flow kit with just a straight pipe to maximize air flow instead of hooking to the existing tube.

Something like this.

And considering I don't have the biggest of budgets, maybe if you know of a drastically cheap kit that would fit my car, that would be great.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Check Ebay Reply with quote

Check out the links here and also check out ebay. That is where I bought one for my Dakota.
Quad411

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: filter Reply with quote

You can buy them at any auto parts store.
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that some of the stuff on ebay say that are not CARB certified (clean air reg. stuff). You might want to check you state and local area rules before you go installing a new are filter.

I put an air tube from rustysoffroad.com on my 5.2L V8 '94 ZJ and love it. 29.99 for the metal fitting and 29.99 for a K&N filter. Not a bad bargin. Or go with 125 bucks for that and a throttle body spacer. I got my Throttle body spacer from AEM and it helped out the throttle response.

The airtube increased my power and mpg rating. Its also easy to install. I wouldn't be to concerned with the non-smooth tubing. I would be more concerend (as I am right now) about how to make a little shield to keep all the mud off my filter. So far I have had it covered with mud with no real problem though.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
MachineMan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the rusty's kit into my '90 and cleaned up a lot of cracked vacuum lines. I got a 1MPG increase but not much noticable power difference. If you want better performance the best thing you could do (especially for a Renix '87 - '90) is get a bored throttle body or have yours bored to 58mm.

Rustys intake and vcaumm line clean up:
http://www.4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=16
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: