Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funky Radio Wiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Funky Radio Wiring Reply with quote

Ok I have a 1987 Jeep Cherokee. The 88 wiring harness doesn't fit.

On the wiring harness that was on it this is the color and letter. But I can't figure out what they are to.

A=Purple w/ White (has a 5 fuse in it)
B=Black
C=Orange w/ stripe (looks like black stripe)
D=Pink
E= Blue
F= Grey
G= empty
H= empty

A=Black
B= Brown
C= Black w/ white stripe
D= Brown w/ white stripe
E= Light Green w/ white stripe
F= Drk Green
G= White w/ Black stripe
H= White

It is a two piece harness. The first set of A-H is a female harness. The second set of A-H is a male harness. I can't figure out the colors because some match some don't. Need Help ASAP!
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: I'm an idiot. Reply with quote

Ok disreguard the above colors. Those were off the harness that was behind the old radio. I figured out the actuall wiring diagram now. I'm such and idiot.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: wiring Reply with quote

Typically they seperate the speakers from the power/gnd. Get a voltmeter or a use a 12v lightbulb to verify. Ground one side and check the volts/light on the connector with the fuse. One should be on all the time for the clock, one on when key is on and probably one on when the parking lights are on. When you find the one that is 12v all the time connect the light/meter to it then the other to the remaining wires on the same connector. The one that shows light or 12v (may show negative) should be ground. If you have a meter that does ohm's you can also check ground by looking for close to 0 ohm's from the wire to metal ground. One of the wires is probably power antenna even though you may not have 1 they use 1 harness for all of them. This would account for most of them on the connector with the fuse, if the fuse is greater than 1 amp it probably is main power for when the ignition is on, if less than probably the clock.

The other connector which has 8 wires is most likely the speakers, 2 wires for each of 4 speakers. The easiest way to figure them out is with the ohm meter again. Each one that is a speaker pair should show between 4 and 8 ohms. I have in the past used a 9v square battery to momentarily touch a pair of speaker wires to the battery to see which is which. It will make the speaker do a clicking sound but is not best for the speaker. It's a process of elimination, start with one and try all the wires in that same connector to it. Make sure there is no voltage on the wires before doing this. If all else fails pull the old speakers and check the wiring colors on that end. Lastly, sometimes the manufacturers are smart enough to put the speaker wire pairs next to each other so that may help the process of finding the pairs. Good luck.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: too slow Reply with quote

You posted before I finished writing my book, glad you figured it out.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Ok Here is what I found Reply with quote

There is two connectors. One is Female and one is Male

The Female is the following:

A= Purple-Orange
B= Black
C= Orange-Black
D= Red/ with a stripe but cant tell the color
E= Blue
F= EMPTY
G= EMPTY
H= EMPTY

The Male has the following:

A= Black
B= Brown
C= Black-White
D= Brown White
E= Green White
F= Green
G= White/Black
H= White

I figured the male end is all the speakers. The other end is the power but I'm still stuck. Hubby doesn't really know how to use those meters. Maybe my dad will know. I can also try something. I want to replace the speakers anyway.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Another Question Reply with quote

Ok I figured out the speaker wires. But on the connector for the power.

There is a purple with white stripe that has a 5 amp fuse.

A pink wire

And a Black white

There is also a grey, drk blue, orange but there is no wires on the trucks harness that goes to those wires. So there is only the purple-white, pink and black.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Here is what I found again. Reply with quote

Well I went and took a look behind the rear trim panel.

Right Rear has: Black
White w/ Black Stripe

Left Rear has: Black w/ white stripe
Green w/ red stripe
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: I solved it. Reply with quote

I found a website that had the diagram. The website is www.oljeep.com

I figured out the following for my 87 Cherokee

LF+ = BLACK-WHITE STRP
LF- = GREEN

RF+ = BLACK
RF- = WHITE

LR+ = BROWN-WHITE
LR- = GREEN-WHITE

RR+ = BROWN
RR- = WHITE-BLACK

IGNITION = PURPLE-WHITE
GROUND = BLACK
DISPLAY = ORANGE-BLACK
MEMORY = RED/TAN
DISPLAY = BLUE

I can't resist but I have to connect this up and see if it works with the old speakers. Then tomorrow I will hook up the speakers. Thanks for all the help.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: IT WORKS!!! Reply with quote

I just finished wiring the harness. I took it out and hooked it up and it WORKS AWESOME! I must admit that it sound really good with the speakers that are in it. I'm going to put the new ones in tomarrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: