Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ticking noise, how to get a few more miles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: ticking noise, how to get a few more miles Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Wonder if anybody would have any suggestions.

I am hearing a ticking noise from the engine compartment of my '96 4.0L XJ. The noise sounds like it is coming from the rear (closest to the transmission) side of the valve cover. It ticks more rapidly with engine rpm but only for a brief time after startup. Once I drive a few miles the ticking goes away and will usually stop with a quick tap of the throttle even on a cold engine.

I have diagnosed this problem as a sticky valve or lifter. As I understand the situation this will eventually mean a valve job (Aaaaaaaaarg!!!) and a lot of money. Other than the ticking sound the jeep runs well. I have confidence in the oil pump which I replaced myself a few months ago. The jeep is always adaquately filled with non-synthetic oil and not the cheap stuff either. Oil filters are also changed regularly and as far as I can tell the engine doesn't burn oil.

What I want to know is the following.
-Do you agree with my diagnosis of a sticky valve/lifter?

-Is there anything I can do to prolong the life of the engine and/or stop the ticking?

-Is there any sense in taking it in for valve work sooner as opposed to later? By taking it in early will I save myself any money? Will an eventual failure cost me more money or distroy the rest of the engine?

-Would you reccomend synthetic oil or any additives to help?

Thanks guys, Good Jeepin'
Turd

Jenny:
'94 4.0 2x4 XJ
with lots of BODY CARNAGE
Mangina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: ticking noise, how to get a few more miles Reply with quote

You could try seafoam. I've never used it myself, but alot of people swear by it. I've also heard of people put alot of miles on their vehicles with a noisy lifter.

Personally, I'd run seafoam in the oil for a few hundred miles and then change the oil and start running synthetic. But I'm no mechanic.......
turd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seafoam???

What is it exactly? I'm picturing a crank-case addative but I can't find it on the web.

Know where I can get some?

Jenny:
'94 4.0 2x4 XJ
Mangina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turd wrote:
Seafoam???

What is it exactly? I'm picturing a crank-case addative but I can't find it on the web.

Know where I can get some?

Here you go. http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

I've never used it myself, but it's worth a try.
Mangina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try Auto RX. I've heard good things about it too. http://www.auto-rx.com
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: ticking Reply with quote

My 4.0 Grand Cherokee ticked lightly for as long as I've owned it and now my neice has it now. It quiets at RPM. I bought it at 130k, it now has 170k. It doesn't seem to bother it any and I think it is pretty normal after a decent amount of miles. Do people do valve jobs on these engines... Smile

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
turd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll try those

I guess the consensus is drive it until it blows up? Guess it doesn't really bother me that much anyway. Can still get to work on the other jeep if i need to.

Happy jeepin in the new year!

Jenny:
'94 4.0 2x4 XJ
Mangina

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turd wrote:
Thanks guys, I'll try those

I guess the consensus is drive it until it blows up? Guess it doesn't really bother me that much anyway. Can still get to work on the other jeep if i need to.

Happy jeepin in the new year!

If it goes away after driving, I'd consider that a very minor issue. It probably won't affect the life of your engine at all. Too bad every little noise my cars make that they shouldn't, bug the hell out of me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: