Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Size Power Wire Should I Use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: What Size Power Wire Should I Use? Reply with quote

Ok I was going to wire up the amp and subwoofers but decided to wait until warmer weather to run the wires. The amp is a Sony Xplod 500W amp. What size power wire should I use? They guy at the part store says that I should use this hugh wire that is the same gauge as jumper cables. I also have to figure a way to run the wire through the firewall to the battery. Any ideas how to and where to run it through the firewall? It has been around 40 degrees lately and we don't have a heated garage so I'm going to wait until its nice and warm.
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the cash I would spring for a 4 or 2 guage, if you want to add another amp later to put more power to your 4 speakers. If you don't have the cash (or don't want to expand later) I would go for an 8 guage wire. I have been running a 720 watt amp off of 10 guage wire for a while. I should go for 8 guage or more but I haven't gotten around to re-wiring. When I bought my jeep about a year ago it came with amp wires already run through the car. I decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Mr. Green
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know those kits they sell for installing an amp? I've always used whatever is included for the size amp I was installing.

What size fuse does the amp use? Figure that out and get a kit that is rated higher than that load. Or, get the power wire equivalent to what's included in that "size" kit if you don't need all the other stuff included in them.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: The amp Reply with quote

The Amp has two 25 fuses in the back. I haven't been able to find an amp kit for the 500 watt. I guess I should still look around. I'll see if my dad can get me some 8 gauge wire from work. Also I don't plan on running the amp all the time. Just once in a while. I don't want to damage my hearing.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The amp Reply with quote

jeep_cherokee_girl wrote:
The Amp has two 25 fuses in the back. I haven't been able to find an amp kit for the 500 watt. I guess I should still look around.

Here's one place. If it has more capacity, that's okay. Big wire with small load creates less resistance and heat. Heat with electronics is bad.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catOid/-13120/N/20013088+20013100+20013107+20013120/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't plan on running the amp all of the time you are going to have to put a manual switch in-line on the RMS wire. The easiest thing to do is to just run it all the time but have it tuned into the music so its not overpowering. A lot of people run real loud bass just to show off but the music hits a new level when you have it tuned to the music. Its best to have it tuned so you leave people guessing if you have a sub or not. Accent the sound, don't overpower it.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Thanks again Reply with quote

Well I went to my dad's and he had some power wire he pulled out of a vehicle. There is about 20 ft of I think 4 gauge. Its about the size of jumper cables. It already has an inline fuse (100A) toward the one end. Plus I got about 5' of 8 gauge and some of 10 gauge. I should have enough to do the Jeep.
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that when you run the cable from the battery to the amp you should put the fuse as close to the battery as possible.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Well I got some 4 gauge wire out of a car and it already had the inline fuse in it. I ran power wire, remote, and RCA along the drivers side to the amp in the rear. I mounted the amp to the side of the speaker box. It works AWESOME. I'm still tweaking with adjusting it. I don't worry about battery drain because my has a plug in the side to plug it in and keep the battery charged. I use it at night when I park my Jeep. Thanks again Viper.
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help. Enjoy the sub!
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: