Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AXEL GEAR RATIO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WATERWORKER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: AXEL GEAR RATIO Reply with quote

I need good advise on how to determine what size gears to upgrade my Wrangler to. The tag on my rear end read 4 11. What is the difference between 4:11 and 4:10. Is 4:11 a good ratio for 31 inch tires? I also want to add a quick lock locker to the rear end. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

1994 Jeep Wranger
2.5 4 cyl
5 speed
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.11 will be a very good ratio for 31's. There is not much difference between the 4.11 and the 4.10, I've even heard of some putting 4.11 in one diff, and 4.10 in the other...although I wouldn't do this.

That tends to be ok at low speeds, but around interstate speeds, it doesn't work too well.

All I can say about the locker is, if you don't feel comfortable, take it to a shop, because there are extremely low tolerances for error in the differential.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo02TJ wrote:
4.11 will be a very good ratio for 31's. There is not much difference between the 4.11 and the 4.10, I've even heard of some putting 4.11 in one diff, and 4.10 in the other...although I wouldn't do this.

That tends to be ok at low speeds, but around interstate speeds, it doesn't work too well.

All I can say about the locker is, if you don't feel comfortable, take it to a shop, because there are extremely low tolerances for error in the differential.

4.10 and 4.11 are the same ratio. Due to differences in size of ring gear and pinion and the number of teeth that can be fit on the ring and pinion, you can't have exactly the same ratio for some axle combinations. A small variation in gear ratios, like 4.10 and 4.11, is not a cause for concern.

Given the situation and question, 4.10/4.11 will be a good ratio. It's a little underpowered with the 4-banger but it's not worth the expense regearing to 4.56s. 4.88s would be too low with 31s.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, I've been told that the .01 difference could cause problems...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dakwag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a Lock Right locker in the back of my D35C and it wasn't very difficult. I left the carrier in the diff case and just pulled the spider gears to make room for the locker. I later did the D30 in the front and it was a little more involved but still not to hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: