Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whistling sound after TB spacer install>

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Whistling sound after TB spacer install> Reply with quote

Hey guys. Anybody get a whistling noise after putting on a throttle body spacer? If so is it normal or will it go away? I just installed one on a '91 XJ and before the whoosh from the K&N was bearable. But now around 2000rpm there's a whine as well as a small hesitation from idle when I kick it in. I can feel the difference so would like to keep the spacer but seems to be acting funny with the K&N filter, was fine with just that. Is it a posibility it's not tightened down enough or the gaskets are bad or something else maybe? Can't remember where I've heard or read about this before but seems fairly common. So any advice if anyone has or had a similar situation would be appreciated. Thanks. Neutral
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whistle is a known issue when a throttle body spacer is installed. No, it will not go away.

The whistle is about the only thing you'll notice with the spacer installed. The performance claims are pretty much unnoticable and mostly bogus.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guess I'll have to deal with it. Oh and dunno about bogus with anyone else but I noticed the difference, but eh to each their own. Thanks though.
Lowrider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Helix throttle body spacer on my '97 Cherokee 4.0 and got a very noticable improvement in low-end throttle response.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowrider wrote:
I installed a Helix throttle body spacer on my '97 Cherokee 4.0 and got a very noticable improvement in low-end throttle response.

No you didn't. You got what's called a placebo effect. If anything, these snake oil devices add very insignificant increases at high RPMs and WOT. They do nothing for low RPMs.
Lowrider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hate to disagree with you, but I'm not so lame as to think I noticed a change when there WAS none. I always had a noticeable flat spot under semi-hard acceleration from a dead stop with my Cherokee. It would jump off the line pretty good, then flatten out from about 2000 to 2500 rpm, then start to pull hard again above 2500.

After installing the Helix TBS the dead spot was gone. NOT my imagination! If it hadn't given me an advantage I'd have taken it back off.

Any chance that my Cherokee being a 2WD, lighter weight and less load on the engine, made a difference in the way the throttle body spacer performed?

No placebos here. Mr. Green

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowrider wrote:
Well, I hate to disagree with you, but I'm not so lame as to think I noticed a change when there WAS none. I always had a noticeable flat spot under semi-hard acceleration from a dead stop with my Cherokee. It would jump off the line pretty good, then flatten out from about 2000 to 2500 rpm, then start to pull hard again above 2500.

After installing the Helix TBS the dead spot was gone. NOT my imagination! If it hadn't given me an advantage I'd have taken it back off.

Any chance that my Cherokee being a 2WD, lighter weight and less load on the engine, made a difference in the way the throttle body spacer performed?

No placebos here. Mr. Green

Unfortunately, I went through the same thing. Like many before me, I thought I felt a difference. I took it off and noticed no decreases. The stock intake flows plenty of air for the 4.0L demands, especially at the lower end of the RPM range. A TBS or CAI are not going to help.
Lowrider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... I'll try this again. My VERY noticeable acceleration flat spot is gone. And has BEEN gone since I installed the TBS.

I suppose there's a remote possibility that I had a vacuum leak at the base of the throttle body and the act of removing it and reinstalling it during the TBS installation fixed the leak - but I seriously doubt it.

My scenario isn't one of imagining a small increase in power. Mine is a case of correcting a malfunction. It (the flat spot) was there and now it's not. No imagination.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
expendable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:

Unfortunately, I went through the same thing. Like many before me, I thought I felt a difference. I took it off and noticed no decreases. The stock intake flows plenty of air for the 4.0L demands, especially at the lower end of the RPM range. A TBS or CAI are not going to help.

I was a temporary victim of the placebo effect too. There was no gain anywhere. At least when I droped in a K&n filter I saw a minute gain in gas mileage. especially since the old filter was pretty choked up.

01 XJ 4.5" RE, 32 MT's, 3.55's, 4.0 I6, RE Sye, Flowmaster cat back, ARB bumper, roof rack
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: