Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need CB advice!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Need CB advice! Reply with quote

Well, I need a good CB, good for the trails that is... Please make some good recommendations, I would like to keep it all under $100 if possible (everything I need - CB, antenae, etc..)..

TIA
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you that I wouldn't get the cobra all-in-one unless you feel like hooking up additional speakers. Even with the volume up, it just isn't that loud. Either that, or you will need to position the hand unit at ear level.
nikon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how good it is but I got the 4wd.com catalogue yesterday and they have a Cobra 19DX for 60 bucks and the mounting brackets and antennae and such in there to. You can see all there CB stuff here.

Like I said, I don't know how good this one is but you can check it out cause it's cheap and it's from Cobra so it is at least a good name brand. Very Happy
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candi wrote:
I'll tell you that I wouldn't get the cobra all-in-one unless you feel like hooking up additional speakers. Even with the volume up, it just isn't that loud. Either that, or you will need to position the hand unit at ear level.

Candi, I've got this one and you're partially right. On road, while traveling, you can't hear squat. But offroad, it's usually quiet enough that this same problem isn't really an issue. I've never had a problem with mine...I just turn it up.

It serves it's purpose in that you dont' have that box to mount like on a normal CB. Putting a speaker up on the rollbar is a lot easier (only 1 speaker wire).
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this Realistic model off of ebay for around $60. I did a lot of searching before I bought it and it was the only model that I could find at that time with BOTH P/A and Weather. Most units had either, but not both.

I run a dual antenna setup with taillight brackets. The brackets are available at a few places online- I think that DesertRat sells them for $20 apiece (left/Right). You don't have to run both, but this way you can chose what side you want your single antenna on. I highly reccomend these brackets over a bumpermount, and they're sturdy as heck.

My setup went slightly over $100 but you can keep it under $100 if you go single antenna.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Midland 75-822 - it's a handheld 40 channel CB. Works fine with the stubby antenna to talk to people closeby, but if you put a regular external antenna outside, you'll get great reception. I have a connector that hooks the power source and external antenna into the base of the unit and I can swap it between whatever vehicle I'm driving. I bought it a few years ago for ~$60. You can also modify it to recieve 120 channels. HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: