Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad relay, what to do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Bad relay, what to do? Reply with quote

I have a bad relay on my KC Daylighters, and I need a quick fix until I can get to the auto parts store.

My friend says he has a relay, but I'm unsure if I can use it or not. If it even fits the plug pattern, can I use it? Or are relays rated for how much they can handle? I don't want to fry my fuses or my lights! shock

TIA,
Stevo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relays are rated based on how much they can handle. Look at the relay you have. It'll tell you what it's rated to. Compare that with the relay your buddy has. If they're the same rating and pin configuration, you should be alright.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I put my lights on I didn't use a relay. What do they do?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
JimmyD-55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper, a basic relay is used to wire componants on a dedicated circuit without having the switch carry the load.

A circuit without a relay would have basic wire run similar to this: Battery to fuse to switch to lights. What this means is that the you are running the power for your lights directly through your switch. This is ok if the switch is rated for the amperage your lights require, however, if you go over the switch rating you may experience some problems.

A circuit with a relay would have a wire run similar to this: Battery to fuse to relay to lights with the relay being triggered by the switch. It takes less amperage for the switch to run the relays and the relays are rated much higher than the switch. You will still need to run a power source to the switch but it will only need to be enough to trigger the relays.

I hope this isn't too confusing, it's always easier for me to understand what I'm talking about than somebody trying to listen to me.

Something else to keep in mind, relays are not all the same. When you replace a relay you need to make certain you're using an adequate replacement. Bosch relays, for example, look similar but have around 200 different configurations. The most typical relay used for wiring lights is a Bosch 87.

If you would like more detailed information on installing a relay(s) into your system let me know and I can get you a basic wiring diagram.

Kyle
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I get what you are saying. I was a little confused because when I installed my lights the instructions said something about a relay then wiring the lights into my headlight dimmer switch or something like that. I just got a 30 amp switch and did it the easy way, in line.

I didn't understand why the insructions say to run it so they turn on when the brights are on. I know a lot of cops in my area in virginia (Harrisonburg) and it is technically illegal to drive on a public road without the light covers on!! I was told not to worry about it to much though because a cop would only pull me over for it if he wanted to be an ass.

Thanks for the info JimmyD
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that as well but i was also told if your lights are on their own switch then its ok to not run covers
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to ask about that one. One officer actually looked it up in the law book and it took us about 10 minutes to figure out what it was trying to say. It is so amazingly confusing.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: