Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instrument Panel Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Problem Reply with quote

Ok well I've been having a problem with my instrument panel lights. I uped the fuse to 10 and after replaceing the speedometer cable the tail light fuse keeps popping. I'm sure its a bad wire but don't want to mess with it since it seems that when I fix something whatever beside it breaks. So I was thinking of getting a light that plugs into the ciggarette lighter socket and use that to light up the panel. Now I know that red light is great for night vision so does anyone know where I can get a red light that will plug into the socket?
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that my friend had the same problem with his xj when he replaced his stereo. Its been a while but I think there is two orange lights coming out from the vehicle side wiring harness. One should say dimmer, or I think it might have a white line in it. I think we wired both to an orange wire on the stereo side of the wiring harness.

Like I said its been a while. He has a 92 XJ by the way so the wiring colors might have changed a little. I hope this at least gives you an idea of what you might want to look at.

By the way, did you buy some pre-made wiring harnesses with your stereo (like the ones crutchfields give out) or did you just splice it all together like I did?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: wasn't one available Reply with quote

There wasn't one made anymore. But there was an old aftermarket tape player there and it had an aftermarket stereo. I remember when I pulled the old radio they had three wires on the harness taped together. I remember hooking one of them up to the stereo wiring. Maybe I'll go out and un plug it and see what it does.
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that I think about my friends and I went out canoeing and on the way home I noticed I lost all my dash lighthing (I have a 94 ZJ by the way). I replaced a blow fuse and nothing changed and the fuse did not re-blow. I worked on it for a while got frustrated when it got to dark to see and slammed everything back in and low and behold the light started to work again. Maybe its a shorted wire or an exposed wire.

I seem to be raising more questions than answers don't I..... ???
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Hubby says the same thing Reply with quote

My husband says the same thing. But everytime we move something....something else goes wrong. I'm just going to look for one of those lights that plug into the cigarette lighter. I think blue will work also.
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue would probably work but red is going to be best for night driving. But then again I know some guys who drilled a few small holes underneith the dash above the insterment panel and put some small led lights in there to brighten things up.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I would love to do the LED but there is no way I'm going to mess with the speedo cable. I learned my lesson. I have a blue one somewhere around here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: