Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it my alternator battery or belts...HELP!!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ottknot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Is it my alternator battery or belts...HELP!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have a 1997 TJ I purchased 1 year ago. High mileage but I don't care, I love this ride, wanted one since I was a kid. Having said that I recently started having trouble i hope someone here can help with. I killed my battery 1 week ago (left my lights on at work) jump started and now the bloody thing won't hold a charge. After I jump it the gauge on the dash will sit right at 14 for a few miles and then pegs out to the right at over 19. Battery dead when I get home. I would assume it was the battery and replace it exept for the fact that my serpentine belt has been yelling at me for about a month now so I don't know if thats why the battery is not charging. I know almost nothing about cars, the deal I made with my wife when I bought my baby was I would do the work myself, up until now I've done OK bought the manual and tinker my way through. Thanks in advance for any IDIOTS GUIDE advice anyone can offer.... Shocked
The Dajaaza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get another boost!

Have soneone boost you again. If after the boost, you remove the cables, and the vehicle continues to run, your alternator should be in ok. However, if after you boost and remove the cables, the vehicle dies, be sure that its the alternator.

Anyone disagree?
Jiles111

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Jeep ever stop running on you when the battery goes dead? Usually if the Battery dies in transit, it means that the motor is running off the battery and not the alternator. This is not always the case. My battery in my Truck slowly goes down to about 11 volts just sitting there with no load. It charges back up to 13 after I drive it, but trickles back down after it sits overnight. Your best bet right now is to take the battery to Walmart, Pepboys, or your franchise auto parts store and have them test the battery. It does not cost anything. I believe they can also test the alternator to. Not sure about the price on alternator checks. But I do know that the battery check is free.
http://bigcountryoff-road.com/
bltracer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to any CSK Auto store (Checker, Shucks, Kragen) and they will test battery and alternator for FREE.

We have a hand held tester and go out to your car and test for free. Just do them the favor of buying any needed parts from them... Wink

bltracer
97TJ SE
2.5L 5-speed
3 1/2" RE Lift
3" Body Lift
Pacesetter Header
K&N Air
Ottknot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you every one, I took it to the local autozone (no CSK near me) they checked the battery and alt for me, the altenator was fine (thank god) just needed a new battery (I did buy it at the Autozone since they did the check for free) Just for the record they recommended the run it and pull the battery cables thing as well so i will try that in the future. Everyone your advice was great and thanks for giving me your time.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottknot wrote:
Thank you every one, I took it to the local autozone (no CSK near me) they checked the battery and alt for me, the altenator was fine (thank god) just needed a new battery (I did buy it at the Autozone since they did the check for free) Just for the record they recommended the run it and pull the battery cables thing as well so i will try that in the future. Everyone your advice was great and thanks for giving me your time.

Ummm be careful doing this, today's PCMs do NOT like voltage spikes or drops, it'll do screwy things with the tables. This was a valid testing method in the past, use the right tool for the right job, get a load tester or do as you did...and have it done for free Smile

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: