Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bill to Further Restrict Use of Antique Vehicles Introduced

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Bill to Further Restrict Use of Antique Vehicles Introduced Reply with quote

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Bill to Further Restrict Use of Antique Vehicles Introduced in Virginia

Legislation (H.B. 288) has been introduced in the Virginia General Assembly that would amend the state’s current law defining antique motor vehicles to restrict pleasure driving of these vehicles to a range not more than 50 miles from the owner’s residence. The bill would also clarify that these vehicles may not be used for any work-related travel. Under current Virginia law, use of antique vehicles is strictly limited to club activities, exhibitions, tours and parades and to test operation, obtain repairs or maintenance and pleasure driving up to 250 miles from the owner’s residence.

We Urge You to Contact Your Virginia State Delegate to Oppose H.B. 288

· H.B. 288 will deny Virginia citizens the opportunity to enjoy the occasional long-range pleasure drive in their antique vehicles and disregards the immeasurable time, money and thought automotive hobbyists, especially antique vehicle owners, invest in their cars.

· H.B. 288 discourages owners of qualifying vehicles 25-years old and older to register as “antiques” thereby potentially increasing their use if registered as “daily drivers.”

· H.B. 288 ignores the fact that many antique vehicles are insured under policies that already limit their use, require regular use vehicles for each household member with a driver’s license, and are required to be stored in a locked and enclosed garage.

Contact your State Delegate in Richmond immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their opposition of H.B. 288. This bill unfairly denies the reasonable accommodation and rights of vehicle enthusiasts and collectors in Virginia. If you need assistance in determining who your legislators are and their contact information, please contact the Virginia State Legislature’s General Information Line at 804/698-1500. This information can also be obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007, ext. 38 or via the Internet at http://www.semasan.com/san/ContactYourLegislator.aspx

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem@sema.org, fax to 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office
1317 F St., NW, Ste. 500
Washington, D.C. 20004
Attn: Steve McDonald

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post this up somewhere else also...most people dont read this because its your clubs forum...i understand its for Vigirnians but still....
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been posting it on every board I visit. I thought I had crossposted it in Gen BS...it's there now.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got ya sorry
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we won this battle. Wink

The following is from Jason Tolleson with SEMA:
-----------------------------

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (FINAL UPDATE)

Virginia Bill to Restrict Antique Vehicles Dead for the Year

Virginia legislation (H.B. 288) that threatened to restrict pleasure driving of antique motor vehicles to a range not more than 50 miles from the owner’s residence has been withdrawn by the bill’s sponsor. The bill also sought to clarify that antique vehicles may not be used for work-related travel, while legislators considered including antique cars in the state’s mandatory annual safety inspection program, claiming that many are unsafe “junkers.”

In a message to SEMA, Virginia Delegate Danny Marshall said, “Thanks for your e mail. I am not trying to hurt the person who has a 1968 Dodge Hemi Cuda, but the person who has a 25+ year old Dodge Dart that the brakes do not work. We will work to make this happen. The bill is off the docket for this year.”

Congratulations to all the Virginia car clubs and councils, individual enthusiasts and members of the SEMA business community who worked so tirelessly to derail this bill. As the message from Delegate Marshall indicates, we will need to be equally vigilant next year to avert unnecessary and unfair changes to the Virginia antique statute.

Congratulations again!

Quote:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: