Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

transmission removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: transmission removal Reply with quote

any advice for driveway removal for a manual 5sp. I need to replace slave cylinder/bearing which requires trans to be removed. Special tools, also do I need to drain the fuild?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been a while since i did one last, and it was in TJ, but anyways...

IIRC, the slave cylinder unbolted from the bellhousing, and just pulled out, still attached to the line. There's two external torx bolts on the top of the bellhousing, going into the engine block. I was able to get them out with about 3 or 4 feel of extensions, and letting the trans angle down after yanking the crossmember. Others drill holes in the trans tunnel from inside the Jeep for access. Apparently a 12mm 12point socket can be used if you don't have Torx sockets, but I say a torx socket set can be had for under $20, no point in possibly mangling those bolts for that little bit of money saved.

I also had a problem with getting the trans off the engine. Seemed the dowel pins corroded a bit. Ended up having to winch it off the engine, and it popped rather violently. Other than that, it was fairly straightforward. Oh yeah, I'd also recommend pulling the t-case seperate from the trans, especially if you don't have a trans jack. Yes, it's more work, but makes it a HELL of a lot easier to to balance the trans on the jack when you're putting it back in.
94 XJ with some mods
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: