Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

slip yoke questions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kansas5.9zj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: slip yoke questions? Reply with quote

if i lift my zj 5 - 6 inches and run 33's, will i need a slip yoke and cv driveshaft kit? If so who has the best one or best one for the money? Will that work if i do the 249 to 231 t-case swap?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak specifically for your ZJ but we just did a RE 4.5 on my 92 XJ and I had been fooled by first considering a Rusty's lift which advertised that you could lift up to 5" without an SYE for a pre 96 (i think?) . So I was talked out of Rusty's and into a RE 4.5.

I assumed I could get by without an SYE for now ($) and ordered just the lift and was coveting tires and wheels instead. After a 2 day lift install (which turned into some broken Shock bolts and broken Rear Spring bolts (in spite of generous dousing with Blaster) and a rear break job and new rear drums. When we finally finished at about 7:30 pm on a Sunday night we realized almost IMMEDIATELY when backing it out of the garage, that the SEVERE CLUNKING of the drive Shaft was our wakeup call that yes Virginia, we did need a SYE eliminator afterall and a new Rear Drive shaft to boot!

My Point you may ask: Expect that the higher the lift the more (sometimes many more) other things you will need to also order/buy/ make or steal to complete the task! Part of the fun of all this I guess!

My 2 cents worth

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should talk to swamp boy. He's got all the skinny on the zj and its suspension. I think he once said he was running 6.25 inches of lift with stock driveshafts. From what I hear having adjustable control arms to push the axels out further to compensate for the lift is all you need. I would pm swampy, he'll get you squared away.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i dunno where swampy is but he said he was running around that much lift and stock shafts and no sye

but anything over 3.5 inches and your gonna need adjustable control arms

he told me that for 5.5 inches i would need ajustables all the way around to have everything nice and evenenly adjusted

as for the 249 i would swap it out and get the 231 first before running 33s
kansas5.9zj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks a lot for the input. i have looked all over the internet at zj's with 5+ inches of lift and none of them mention anything about a slip yoke kit. However rubicon express and rock krawler "recommend" you have one when lifting that high. I'll try to get in contact with swamp boy and i might call rubicon express and rock krawler and see what they have to say about it. i'll post it if i find out anything.
93ZJer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 8 inches of lift on my 93 ZJ. it has long arms but I am running a stock rear driveshaft out of a newer GC and I dont know what the front of it is. I measured my front to a friends who has less lift and mine is 7 inches longer then his. So I am assuming my front has been modded. I have very little vibes in mine even going 70 MPH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: