Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with jeep starting . . . . many clues . . no answer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I 'm going with starter haha. But, this problem is related to many things unfortunately. I think someone mentioned here or another thread about the crank shaft position sensor or something er rather. My wife's auto '92 would have the lights work and good batt and alt same as your's but wouldn't start unless I had it in nuetral so maybe her prob is the nuetral switch. Is your's a auto? Try starting it in gear and then nuetral and shifting the lever back and forth and holding it hard forward in park. But if it worked while you were out looking for a job and successively got worsr and now it's intermitten I'm still going with starter! And that's my final answer. lol They can be had for less than $100 rebuilt or try e-bay. If you're gonna keep her awhile consider a NEW one. Hope this helps and good luck to ya!
ar2de2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: so it was the starter apparently Reply with quote

I finally just took it in to a shop and they put in a 'new' (Shuck's) starter and it's starting just fine...so hopefully it lasts!

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions!

Jessica
RockOn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: so it was the starter apparently Reply with quote

ar2de2 wrote:
I finally just took it in to a shop and they put in a 'new' (Shuck's) starter and it's starting just fine...so hopefully it lasts!

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions!

Jessica

Stay out of mud & water & it will last longer!

Someday I may do what I preach! LOL
Although I know when I'm playing it all comes with a cost!
cheap cherokee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to check to see if it's the neutral safety switch I think you can check it by unplugging it and jumping the two wires on the plug. Just use a short piece of wire, stripped on both ends and conect the two terminals in the plug coming out of the harness.

The switch might be located on the steering column near the base of it. Should be a two wire plug if it's anything like the older GM trucks. Good chance it is because they use a GM column in the XJ's until 97 or something I think. Some correct me if I'm wrong on that, I haven't looked on an XJ yet so I'm not sure where they are located.

BTW make sure it's in park when you do this because it will start in gear otherwise.

Also make sure you have good connections at the starter on all your wires and make sure you didn't miss one of the little wires if you have had the starter off.

I think you'll find that the neutral safety switch is bad.
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Well at this point it could be your starter, having that checked couldnt hurt. Other than that, your NSS (Neutral safety switch) could be bad, or the CPS (Crank position sensor). Try putting it into neutral and starting it, see if that helps. If it does, u'll know what it is.
cheap cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it probably is the starter. I got mixed up with the other peeps and thought he had it checked allready. That's where I would start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: