Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powertrax or LockRite??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Powertrax or LockRite?? Reply with quote

I'm gearing down my 93 XJ in the next couple weeks. I have the D30 up front and the Chrysler 8.25" (27 spline) in the rear. All I've gotta do is order the parts.....but i can't decide on which locker i want for the rear.
It's a daily driver, and i don't mind a little clicking, popping, or tire screeching once in a while. I know the LockRite's a ratchet locker designed to give around corners on the street, and i know that the Powertrax No Slip is supposed to be smoother and more quiet, but which one will go best with my axle and 4:56's???
I want the locker that's going to be easiest on my axle and still perform like a locker should in the rocks. Anybody have any experience with either of these?? thanks for any input.

Finger
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Haleyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a LockRight in my D30. Works great. My XJ is a DD too.

Not hardly noticable in 2wd, other than the ratcheting.

Only hear it ratchet when the windows are down.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the same thing.

HTH

www.naxja.org
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a Powertrax in my front axle. DD as well (OK, every other day). It clunks every now and then, but by comparison to a lockright, it's relatively quiet. No racheting or other noises. Works great offroad as well...locks up like the spiders are welded.
If I had to do it all over again...well...I go with an ARB. But who wouldn't? Finger

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like both are really comparable. I think I'm just going to get the Powertrax No Slip, it's only $70 more. I hear it's more quiet, and i wanted to hear if it locks up well off road.....and apparently it does, thanks again
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
feuer895

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are both these products bassically limited slips or a full locker because i was looking at them before. They are about $100 are they not?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are lockers. These types of lockers (a.k.a. - "lunchbox lockers") install in the existing carrier and replace the spider gears. Thus, they do not require a ring and pinion setup to install them. The price varies depending on the axle, but the Lockright runs around $225 and the Powertrax runs around $300.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
feuer895

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they work really good for how cheap they are because if they do work well ill use my tax returns to get one in the rear.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will run into problems with larger tire sizes (35's and up). Aside from that, read the comments above. They both work well.

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: