Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixed two major problems in my 2000 XJ!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Fixed two major problems in my 2000 XJ!!! Reply with quote

This is going to sound minor, but I'm really hyped about what I just completed. The first is my rear tailpipe, which had been rattling badly since I put on the skid plate. The lovely instructions that came with it told me to remove the heat shield from the undercarriage so that the skid plate could fit over the gas tank. Ok, seems simple enough, but it also said to leave the pipe hanging freely. Now, with normal pipes this probablly wouldn't have been a big deal, but I have a larger exhaust tip in the rear, so it had been methodically banging against the skid plate in either idle or when accelerating. Not only was this annoying, but inherently dangerous for the cat and muffler, since it would probably rattle itself apart. I started roaming around under the pipe to see what I could do to fasten it up somewhere, and realized I had left the clamp and hanger still attached to the pipe. I grabbed two nuts/bolts and fastened it up to the frame rail, then took a 15mm wrench to the clamp and adjusted it further away from the tank. Problem solved.

I also had a problem with the Tomken rear swing arm for the spare tire. For some reason it was not hinged correctly, so it would bounce repeatedly with any vibration in the rear, also inherently dangerous should the whole thing pull itself apart. I started going through my toolkit looking for the bolts for my tailpipe when I stumbled onto the bushing sleeves for my shock absorbers. Looking at the diameter, I realized this would fit down the hole where the carriage bolt goes, so I removed the rear tire and swing arm to check. The sleeve fit really snug in the hole, and after a few whacks with the BFH, I had enough lip left on the sleeve to gap the swing arm correctly. After reattaching the swing arm and tire, I now have a smooth swing to the arm with NO room for wiggle!!!!

I know, minor stuff. But I still think the bushing sleeve trick was kinda cool!! thumbs

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: