Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turn Signal problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweet-t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Turn Signal problems!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

New to the site and got a question. I have a 2000 xj and the turn signals stick all the freakin time. It may blink twice or twenty times but it then locks permanently on. Any ideas on this problem. Help please.
JOHN 6:35

And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to look for is the fuse that services power to the blinkers. This should be in your basic Jeep Cherokee manual that came with the XJ, and involves pulling out and replacing the proper fuse. The fusebox is located in the kicker panel on the passenger side floorboard and is easy to remove. I don't remember which fuse it is offhand, but your manual should tell you. Even Chilton's has the fusebox diagram in it. Mr. Green If you don't have the manual, I'll see if I can scare up the procedure for you.

There's also a very good chance that one of the bulbs is on the verge of shorting out. The fun part is figuring out which bulb it is. The good? 98% of the time you can just look at a bulb and see if it's ready to go, 'cuz usually you'll see carbon soot inside the bulb itself. The bad? You have to remove six housings (two in back, and four in front/side) to figure out which blinker has the bad bulb in it, and the other 2% of the time you may not see the soot or see it but find out it's the wrong bulb.

The first thing to start on is which side of the vehicle is the problem happening, driver's or passenger's? The side that is having trouble is the side you need to work on, the other side would have no effect whatsoever (although preventative maintenance should be performed, i.e. examining the bulbs for carbon scoring). Once you've settled on a side you should start with the back first, since it's pretty easy to pull off.

REAR TAILLIGHT

REMOVAL
(1) Open the liftgate.
(2) Remove the 3 bolts attaching the tail lamp housing to the quarter panel.
(3) Grasp the lamp and pull up and out to disengage it from the grommet at the base of the lamp. Lift up gently to free housing from rubber grommet, do not force it out.
(4) Rotate the bulb sockets one-third turn and remove the bulb sockets from the lamp housing.

If I remember correctly, the middle bulb should be the blinker bulb. Check all three bulbs anyway to be safe. The bottom bulb is the backup bulb, and the top one should be the brake bulb.

INSTALLATION
(1) Install the bulb and sockets in the lamp housing.
(2) Position the lamp housing in the quarter panel and push to engage the grommet.
(3) Install the lamp housing screws. Tighten the screws securely.
(4) Install the bolts attaching the tail lamp housing to the quarter panel.
(5) Close the liftgate.

Here are the procedures for the front and side-marker housings.

FRONT PARK/TURN SIGNAL LAMP

REMOVAL
(1) Remove the headlamp bezel.
(2) Remove the screws attaching the park/turn signal lamp housing to the grille opening panel.
(3) Remove the bulb sockets and separate from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION
(1) Install bulbs and sockets in the lamp housing.
(2) Position the park/turn signal lamp housing on the grille opening panel and install the screws.
(3) Install the headlamp bezel.

SIDE MARKER LAMP

REMOVAL
(1) Remove screws attaching side marker lamp lens to grille opening panel.
(2) Remove bulb and socket from back side of lamp.

INSTALLATION
(1) Install bulb and socket in back of side marker lamp.
(2) Install side marker lamp in grille opening panel.

Same deal with these bulbs, you should be able to figure out which bulbs are getting carbon, and replace them accordingly. If you've gone through all these bulbs and nothing is working, the next step would probably be the turn signal arm on the steering column. shock But I do have the procedures for that as well, just in case. Let me know if this helps.

Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually double-checked myself, if the fuse is bad or failing then NOTHING would be working blinker-wise. More than likely it's just a bad bulb somewhere.

JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: blinker Reply with quote

My question for you is does it happen on both the left and right side. If so it is a not a bulb and it most likely is a bad blinker thing, I'm not sure of the actual name but it's the piece that clicks when they blink. The clicking should help you locate it. It is a switch that works like a blinking Christmas tree light. When the piece of metal inside it heats up from the current of the lights going through it, it bends from the heat and turns off. When it cools it shorts out again. Some cars have a more expensive electronic one. Generally you can swap it with the emergency light blinker to see if it is the problem. The blinkers are only about $5 at any autoparts store or Walmart in the auto/trailer wiring section.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: