Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blower doesn't work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Blower doesn't work Reply with quote

I've read all the posts here related to blower circuits and none seem to apply. So here goes:

A while back, the heater blower motor started giving me trouble - but only when the car was hot. It would work on all speeds when started cold ,,, but as soon as I turned the car off and turned it on again after a short while, the blower would not turn on on any speed ,,, that is, until I drove down the road some arbitrary distance. Then, magically, it would work like there was nothing wrong.

Times have been good for the blower this winter ,,, until one day it quit altogether. When I turn the switch ,, no noise until I get to the high setting ,,, then there is a click ,,, I imagine the relay that bypasses the resistor. So, since something is happening with the switch going to the high position, I ruled out the switch. Since it doesn't work on any setting, I ruled out the resistor. Since the motor worked fine when it was working for a long time, I ruled out the motor. Since the 40 AMP fuse in the PDC looks fine, I ruled it out.

I always suspected some solid state relay causing the problem because of the sensitivity to engine temperature. But, there doesn't appear to be a relay under the hood.

Any advice on what the problem might be and how to go about fixing it?
Mitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW ,,, it's a 1997 Wrangler SE ,,, no A/C.
buddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace your resistor. It's under the glovebox.

Later,

Buddy
Mitch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Buddy. I did that yesterday. Pulled the thing off ,, tested it with an ohmmeter ,,, must have been a last gasp of life because it checked out OK. So, I warmed it up a little ,,, dead as a doornail. Still scratching my head over why High didn't work before ,,, but not going to question success.
Mitch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of the story:

Blower seemed to be working fine until after I idled for a few minutes. As I drove, the motor started slowing down until I decided to turn it off for fear that I would burn my new resistor. For the first time, I did hear a faint bearing noise. After the car cooled, I opened the hood and turned it on. The blower worked but rattled a little.

So, I replaced the motor and that baby is humming.

Must have been that the bearings on the motor were going out for a while and the additional current blew the resistor.

I feared the job of replacing the blower motor before I pulled it to test it the other day because of the Haynes manual I purchased a few years ago, but it was maybe 1/2 hour job. Remove the battery, remove 3 bolts on this junction box looking thing and there it sits ,,, 3 bolts and the electrical connection and it's out. Guess the only thing I didn't need was the first thing I got, the $10 relay. It puzzles me why the fuse didn't blow applying voltage to a motor without doing any work, but I'll live with it in tropical heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: