Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banks cat-back loud drone humming sound?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shalegreenjeep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Banks cat-back loud drone humming sound? Reply with quote

I installed a Banks cat-back on my 2002 Jeep wrangler I-6 cyl. Went on very easy and looks great. However it makes a droning / humming sound during acceleration and while maintaining speed. Wanted to know if anyone has had this problem with an aftermarket exhaust system. Also if a resonator would help cut back on the loud humming noise.. Thanks
KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmmm, I have a Borla cat back, no drone. Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak?

By adding a resonator, I fear you'll just be adding restriction to a system that paid hard earned cash to be 'restrictionless'. I've never had any dealings with Banks products, but have heard nothing but good reviews. Perhaps give them a call and see if this is a common problem?

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have their exhaust, it makes a funny rattling noise briefly when I downshift but no droning. It's obviously louder, but... Are you sure everything's tight and it's not making contact with the frame or suspension?
shalegreenjeep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in contact with banks and am trying a few different things to reduce the sound. No luck as of yet. I have checked all the bolts and everything is tight, no exhaust leaks.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things to check out, but you will need a helper.

Easy exhaust leak test.
Have 1 person hold a gloved hand over the end of the tailpipe while the engine is running. The other person can be under checking for obvious leaks. Careful not to burn yourself on the pipe, but this test can be done quickly enough on a cool engine before the muffler warms up. Just plugging the tailpipe for a few seconds should show any leak by if there is any.

Check the headpipe clearence at the passenger side LCA frame mount.
Where the headpipe passes the mount can be a little tight. At idle or with the engine off there may plenty of clearence between the 2 parts, but while accelorating and at speed, they can touch each other and make a nasty buzz. I did this one to my own rig when I installed my 1" engine lift.

Again have 1 person watching while the other revs the engine and see if the 2 get close. It may of may not get contact without the same load as it would be driving. In my case I just had to persuade things a bit with a prybar and its been fine since.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
shalegreenjeep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on things to check. I did both last night and no exhaust leaks and can't see anything rubbing. I have talked with banks tech support. They had me take of the chrome tip, no change in tone. Also used bailing wire to pull the exhaust to one side until it got hot to see if that changes to tone, no change. Called them back yesterday and and talked with a different tech and was told thats just how they are and to live with it. Kind of PO'd that I spent 300 on my exhaust to have it sound like a ricer.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Banks systems but, I also hear good things. I’m wondering if they have just one size muffler for a Jeep or if they offer different sizes, Chambers or whatever. But I do know that the larger the muffler the tone will change to a less “drone“ sound at freeway speed.
Resonance will effect the exhaust flow, the sound waves will act as a barrier at a certain rpm (or rpm’s) preventing the flow from exiting the muffler smoothly causing un-wanted backpressure.

My 2 cents

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: