Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old man with new Jeep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ione

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Old man with new Jeep Reply with quote

Last week I took delivery of a new Wrangler Unlimited. I have always enjoyed toys of all kinds. My wife and I are both retired and are over 60 years of age and have 2 other 4 wheel drive pick-ups. We have no plans of climbing walls with the new Jeep or winching our way over rocks of all sizes but feel it would be nice to enjoy the outdoors for some short drives with our new Jeep. My wife is a rather short lady and I discovered I will have to install Side steps or build her a three legged milk stool to get in the Jeep. I am having tubular side steps installed next week. I know the ground clearance will go down but I am sure that will be ok. Now maybe there is a place to buy an item for my next problem or some ideas of a design. As I was saying before, my wife is short but she still likes to drive the Jeep but has trouble seeing over the hood. Do any of you know of accessories that offer some kind of a butt riser for my wife so she can see over the hood or must I get together with a foam store and build my own. I have enjoyed reading a lot of the other post and will be greatful for any info to my problem.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to raise the seat (i.e. you don't want to affect it for you,) yes you can go the foam route. You can also go to a medical supply store. They have foam cushions in varying thicknesses but they also have some pretty durable covers.
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went through ebay and found a kit that raised the seats 1" in height. originally it was so my fiance could see better from the passenger seat (she was used to higher position in her '01 tj) but after putting on the passenger seat i decided i wanted it taller on my side as well. i'm 6'1" and have no clearance problems with having my seat raised that 1". and since they have lowered the seats in the '03 and later tj's this just put it back up to the height of my (and hers) other tj.
chris

**helpful links**

1" seat risers
http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/productdetail.asp?pid=SR10&model=tj&cat=4&kid=86&catid=179&mid=n

1.5" seat risers
http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/productdetail.asp?pid=SR15&model=tj&cat=4&kid=86&catid=179&mid=n

2" seat risers
http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/productdetail.asp?pid=SR20&model=tj&cat=4&kid=86&catid=179&mid=n
TJgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to this site! enjoy your new Jeep
Ione

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TJ.
Now for the seats. I cut a templete of the seat, then took it to a fabric store where they sold foam. 2 pieces of foam was $36.00(4 inches thick) then took them to a sewing shop where they upholstered for $61.00. This is for 2 cushions and I had a strap put on so she could wrap it around the back of the seat and velcro it in place from the out side edge of the seat. The strap is attached in the center of the thickness at the back corners of the cushion so as it wears she can switch them from driver to passanger and back to keep the thichness even. I was careful to cut out for the seat belt latch. The fabric just about matches the seats in the Jeep. Well, anyway I brought them home for mama tonight and she thought they were great and tomorrow she will go on her first 150 mile trip alone and will let me know how the ride was. A little under $100.00 for two custom cushions sounds pretty cheap if he keeps the woman happy. Very Happy Smile Confused
Lowrider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new Jeep. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.

I picked up my new Wrangler Unlimited on Dec. 31 and I love it. Cool

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new Jeep Very Happy

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
TJgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know how she liked those new seat covers on her trip Wink
Ione

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She loved the cushions. Now she claims the Jeep as hers. Looks like I am back in my old Ford Pick up. She drove 180 miles (round trip) just to go shopping today.
TJgirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahahah that is funny! maybe you better get another one! I love it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: