Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine cutting out - need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: engine cutting out - need help Reply with quote

Been to dealer twice with '98 TJ - no codes explaining:
When fuel tank less than 1/2 full, engine cuts out as though foot is off gas pedal, then power is back, then off, then back until speed is 10-15 mph with continuous bucking. If out of gear will idle fine, back in gear and advance throttle and she bucks. Also have note a "clunk" from forward of firewall will precede a period of normal performance.
No other problems - tuned her up thinking "it couldn't hurt" and was overdue anyway. new cap/rotor/plug wires/plugs...no difference.
Does not happen all the time when under 1/2 tank, may go 40 miles between episodes that may last 20 minutes before "clunk" and we're off.
Any thoughts for diagnostics? Sound familiar?
'01 DRZ400
KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would normally have said, get a fuel psi gauge on there and see whats going on while you drive and see what the psi does when it acts out on ya.

BUT, that "clunk" has me VERY concerned. Are you motor mounts 100%?

This ONLY happens with 1/2 tank of fuel or less?

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GaryT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...haven't checked motor mounts, and while I don't yet see how motor mounts might fit in, will check those this evening.
How involved is the installation of a fuel pressure gauge? Seems that the fuel pump may be the problem, but have been told that fuel pumps don't generate error codes. Would not want to replace the fuel pump (it is in the tank, isn't it?) unless reasonably certain that was the source of the problem.
'01 DRZ400
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryT wrote:
Interesting...haven't checked motor mounts, and while I don't yet see how motor mounts might fit in, will check those this evening.
How involved is the installation of a fuel pressure gauge? Seems that the fuel pump may be the problem, but have been told that fuel pumps don't generate error codes. Would not want to replace the fuel pump (it is in the tank, isn't it?) unless reasonably certain that was the source of the problem.

Well, you can get fuel pressure test kits at any auto parts store, simply attach the gauge to the lip of the hood and watch is you drive. It simply plugs into the test port on the fuel rail (schrader valve). Of course you can get an in cabin fuel pressure guage, but that will be a bit more expensive, as you will need an stainless steel lines, isolator, in cab gauge, pod to hold the gauge, etc...I'll be doing this one soon, it's a GREAT tool to have handy, especially when trouble shooting motor problems. I'll be doing it for different reasons though, I'll be putting a fuel psi and boost gauge in the Jeep in the future Smile

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GaryT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another of the many benefits of owning cycles and cars - the opportunity to buy new tools! Not really interested in having one inside, and hadn't known of the test kits... off to the local parts store. Will post findings when i've got them. Thanks for the assist. GaryT
'01 DRZ400
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: