Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drives fine then it spits, bucks, sputters, idles bad, stall

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Modfatha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Drives fine then it spits, bucks, sputters, idles bad, stall Reply with quote

I posted this over in an Altima Forum but I have come to respect the good vehicle troubleshooting information that the JHorz Forums has given me with regards to my XJ. Any wisdom on this would be much appreciated!

We have had our 95 Altima for a long time. It has been running great for 230k miles and I do very regimented maintenance on it. I really want to get it to 250k at least but lately it's had another idea.

The Altima runs fine during my 45 minuted commute to work daily up to about the 30 minute mark. At roughly 30 minutes it will start to buck slightly under acceleration, almost like fuel delivery or timing is off. When it starts to do this it will also start to idle poorly to the point of stalling at red lights some times. It's inconsistant and I have started troubleshooting mildly to try and figure it out but the problem on really starts after that 30 mins or so of run time.

So far I have replaced the plugs and gapped them to recommendations and I have added a fuel injection cleaner/additive in hopes that it might be a fuel injector that is clogged, etc.

Any help from anyone that has had this problem before or would know how to best go about fixing it would be greatly appreciated. I have heard good things about this forum from its members and I just joined. Plz Help, I dont want to get rid of 'er, she is a trooper!
tonloco

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i am by far no mean a mechanic but to me if does not start doing it immediatly then it must be somthing that would chaged after the 30 min time period my guess would be a short in an ignition wire whilr the engine compartment is cool you have a decent conection but after it warms up you may losing power though a particular wire.
hope this helps good luck
Modfatha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I am thinking now that my memory is jogged that it might be oil leaking into the dizzy.

The altima dizzys run right off of one of the cams out the side of the head. That would make sense with the 30min timing thing, plus the fact that about 60k miles ago I had an issue with that car regarding and oil leak into the dizzy.
alawha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the EXACT problem with my 97 Jeep Wrangler, except it would start acting up after 20 seconds of starting. I took it to 5 different repair shops to no avail. Finally I took it back to the dealer, and they too were baffled. I had the mechanic listen to it so he could get a better idea and he was able to fix the problem. I'm sorry to say that I can't remember what he did to fix it, but I have the name of the dealership if you want to talk to them - Hollywood Jeep in Hollywood, Florida. Sorry I couldn't be more help!
JV03

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, since this is an old post, you've probably got your problem fixed...but for the Jeeps out there...I had a very similar problem in a '98 TJ, though it wasn't at any particular time after starting. (Sometimes within a few minutes, other times after an hour or so, other times a couple hours with no problems.)

Finally got to the point it was happening daily and I was planning a long trip and didn't want it to crap out on the road. So, when it happened, I had a buddy tow the Jeep into the "Auto Hobby Shop" on the base I was stationed at. We put a code reader on it and got no faults. On the 4.0L, there's a test fitting on the fuel runner you can open up to see if fuel is getting to the injectors...there wasn't. Looked in the Haynes manual and found there's a relay that controls the entire fuel system and lets fuel get to that point. Anyway, to make a short story longer, that relay was intermittent. Changed it out temporarily with the Horn Control Relay (it's interchangeable with the horn relay and the Anti-lock brake relay...i thought the horn would be the safer bet) and the motor cranked right up, but my horn quit...imagine that. $8 and 30 minutes later I had a new relay and haven't had any problems stalling since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: