Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ instrament cluster swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetWilly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: XJ instrament cluster swap Reply with quote

I have a 1998 SE. It has the low budget dash cluster, ya know the one with the speedo and gas guage and the dummy lights. I was hoping someone had some experience swapping in a cluster from a Sport or a Limited. They have the Tach and all the other guages. Is it a direct bolt in? I have never seen the entire wire harness under the dash, but I do know that other wires are upthere that a currently not being used. Could those be wires from sending units to power the guages of the upgrade unit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Yesterday, I called 3 local dealers, one in Arizona and even Don-A-Vee Jeep in California. No one had any answers for me.

98 XJ se
4.5" lift
32" B.F.G
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did it to my 93. I have a base model with all the idiot lights instead of guages, so i grabbed one out of a 91 laredo. The sports and laredos come with the better clusters.
As long as you get one from the same year, it'll bolt right in and should plug into the same harness. The only things you're going to have to worry about are the sensors for the oil pressure and temp guages. I still haven't put the correct sensors in mine, but everything else including the tachometer works fine. Just grab the sensors (sending units) off of the wrecked truck you're using, or if thats not possible just make sure the parts store knows to get you the sensors for a truck with guages, not lights.
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SweetWilly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: XJ gauge swap Reply with quote

I contacted a Jeep dealer and he told me that the sensor part numbers for the gauge package in the Limited and the SE were the same. The problem i'm faced with now is the odometer. My XJ has 90.000 and change and the doner truck has 112,750. I can't seem to find anyone that can adj. the the reading to match my mileage. Any suggestions?
dadstoys2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about opening up the cluster and switching out the speedo with your old one. Should not be difficult.
~Rich
87laredo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could put the cherokee up on blocks in the backyard and let it run in gear until the odometer reads 120 000 , then the cluster will be right!! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: