Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Art of Stripping - Paint that is...

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: The Art of Stripping - Paint that is... Reply with quote

I think by now a few of you know that I restore and build older cars. Mainly Oldsmobile's but I dabble in just about everything. I am doing this write up for all you guys who are thinking about painting your rigs or doing touch up work on just about anything. Instead of spending hours and hours of sanding, scraping, and peeling - you can use DeKote paint stripper available from Eastwood Company. This is one of the better ones out there, but not the only one. This is probably one of the easier ones to use. Its a one part deal. No mixing of this and that.... Plus DeKote looks like Ghostbusters slime - the pink kind.

You'll need to start by cleaning off the painted area you are going to be stripping. Make sure you have plenty of air space around you because the smell of this stuff needs to get out away from you. Otherwise you'll be higher than a kite. LOL!
Get an old paint brush and start applying it generously. Let the first coat dry for about 30 minutes and then apply a second coat but this time slop it on. Make it much heavier and thicker than the first coat. This is where the chemicals really start to do thier job.
The thing I like about DeKote is that its easy to use, no dangerous vapors, can be cleaned up with water, and it does all the work for you.

This is a roof shot off the stripper already on. It paints on very easy and make sure you get even coverage.

This is the trunk lid with a second coat applied. Make sure you don't get any on ya' and wear gloves just in case.

Its funny to watch some of the bugs land on this stuff. The smell attracts them and when they land on it disolves thier legs and they just kind of melt into the stuff. Its way cool......!!

Just some tools used...
Couple of good putty knifes.
Hand sander (planier style)
Power sander
Wire Brush for heavy nasty spots
& Air sander (Dual Action if possible...)

All in all the job went smooth. Make sure you coat it on plenty thick and allow 3-4 hours of dry time before you go at it with a putty knife. After you get the paint off go at it with a 180-220 grit sand paper on eith er of the sanders (air, hand, etc...) just to smooth it out and clean it up a bit. The paint actually comes right off. Much easier than sanding your palms numb.

Knee high in old nasty paint chips - CoreyXJ
"Get busy living, or get busy dying..." - C.W.

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some suggestions, as I've stripped several cars.

1. Score the surface with a sharp utility knife before actually applying stripper. This is especially effective if you have multiple coats of paint on a panel. Don't use gorilla-force and ding the panel, just scratch through the top layer. Use a crossing pattern, about every two inches.

Doing this allows the stripper to penetrate more quickly. I've used this method on a car with four paint jobs.

2. Go to the kitchen, and when the s/o isn't looking, swipe the saran wrap. After you daub your stripper on the panel, lay a strip of saran wrap over the stripper. This will prevent evaporation and will force the chemicals in the stripper to work downward towards the metal. You'll also use far less chemical in the job this way.

3. Work in a well ventilated area. Remember those melting bugs? Those could also be the cells in your lungs.

4. Be responsible and follow local laws when disposing of hazardous waste. We all drink the water. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Body & Paint All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: