Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4wd won't disengage?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paracutin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: 4wd won't disengage? Reply with quote

2000 TJ 4.0 /auto - bone stock except for 31" rubber.
For the last few days my steering has felt like I was in 4wd. The dash indicator is not on and the shift lever is in 2H but the front end is grabing when I turn corners just like when you are in 4wd on dry pavement.
I don't think it's the transfer case because I can spin the back tires on wet pavement. I have shifted thru 2H-4H-N-4L and back but it didn't make any difference. I also hear a rotating noise of some sort from under or near the drivers feet.
Please help! I keep having visions of exploding differentials! Not good. Not good at all.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the transfer case is disengaged, which since you state you don't think it's the transfer case because you can spin the back tires on wet pavement, then you aren't in 4WD.

Did you recently put those 31x10.5 BFGs on? Sometimes the 31x10.5s rub the lower control arms at full lock on stock TJs with larger tires.
paracutin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the tires for over three months now. They aren't the culprit.
If I'm not in four wheel drive what is causing the front end to grab or buck on low speed corners like 4wd on dry pavement does?
paracutin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axel shaft u joints maybe? how do i check those?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the solinoids on the front axle that engage the hubs. Its probably stuck and needs replaced. Or somtimes a stick can get into the mechanism and stick it open as well.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
paracutin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axle solenoids on a 2000 TJ? Are you sure? I don't think so.
paracutin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything in the front end is tight.
With the engine off I put the trans in neutral and had my daughter shift the t-case thru its gears so I could watch the linkage. Everything was moving fine. I took it for a test drive and the front end bucking was gone. Everything was smooth again. So I either have a linkage problem or an internal t-case problem what worked themselves out by shifting the t-case with the engine off.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paracutin wrote:
What is the actuator called? I always thought it was a solinoid, or is it vacuum actuated?

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
paracutin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep quit using vacuum assist in 96. The TJ axels and diff spin all the time. There is no disconnect for them.
paracutin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it in 4H this morning and I could hear and feel it engage. I drove it a couple block and put it back into 2H. On the very next turn the front end was bucking like it was still in 4wd.

I went home and did the following:
#1:
Engine Off
Trans in neutral
T-case in 2H
Both fron wheels off the ground
Turn either wheel and it is the only one that moves. The other wheel does nothing. I forgot to look for driveshaft movement.

#2:
Engine Off
Trans in neutral
T-case in 4H
Turn either wheel and the other wheel turns in the opposite direction. Front drive shaft does not turn. Shouldn't the front shaft turn if the T-case is in 4H? Maybe not because the trans was in neutral? I don't know.

Put it back in 2H and took it for a drive. The front end still bucks on cormers like its in 4wd.

I really hate to take it to the dealer because I know they will rape me but I don't want to just throw parts at it either. Someone please help! Sad
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paracutin wrote:
I put it in 4H this morning and I could hear and feel it engage. I drove it a couple block and put it back into 2H. On the very next turn the front end was bucking like it was still in 4wd.

I went home and did the following:
#1:
Engine Off
Trans in neutral
T-case in 2H
Turn either wheel and it is the only one that moves. The other wheel does nothing. I forgot to look for driveshaft movement.

#2:
Engine Off
Trans in neutral
T-case in 4H
Turn either wheel and the other wheel turns in the opposite direction. Front drive shaft does not turn. Shouldn't the front shaft turn if the T-case is in 4H? Maybe not because the trans was in neutral? I don't know.

Put it back in 2H and took it for a drive. The front end still bucks on cormers like its in 4wd.

I really hate to take it to the dealer because I know they will rape me but I don't want to just throw parts at it either. Someone please help! Sad

That sounds about right. In 2Hi, the other wheel didn't spin because the driveshaft did. In 4Hi, the other wheel spun the opposite direction because you have an open differential and the driveshaft couldn't spin. It was locked together with the rear driveshaft, which was held from spinning because the rear tires were on the ground. It doesn't matter what the transmission was in at this point.

You asked about axle shaft u-joints up above. Pull them apart and check the grease in the caps.

Last edited by ehirner on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
paracutin wrote:
What is the actuator called? I always thought it was a solinoid, or is it vacuum actuated?

Guy drives a Rubicon....what can you expect? Finger
paracutin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be the axle shaft joints! After manually turning the wheels and shifting the 4wd thru all of it's gears the problem went completely away. If I had bad u-joints the problem wouldn't go away until the joints were replaced.
Could the problem be with the t-case linkage or internal to the t-case?
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paracutin wrote:
It can't be the axle shaft joints! After manually turning the wheels and shifting the 4wd thru all of it's gears the problem went completely away. If I had bad u-joints the problem wouldn't go away until the joints were replaced.
Could the problem be with the t-case linkage or internal to the t-case?

Over the internet and basing this solely on your descriptions, I don't think it's the t-case. I'd still check the u-joints...especially if the problem returns.
paracutin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ehirner wrote
You asked about axle shaft u-joints up above. Pull them apart and check the grease in the caps.

If I were going to take the time to pull them apart and check the grease shouldn't I just replace them? They are 6yrs old and have 60k on them.

Do you know where I can find a tech article on that? My Haynes manual is not very good on some things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: