Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4wd won't disengage?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paracutin wrote:
Quote:
ehirner wrote
You asked about axle shaft u-joints up above. Pull them apart and check the grease in the caps.

If I were going to take the time to pull them apart and check the grease shouldn't I just replace them? They are 6yrs old and have 60k on them.

Do you know where I can find a tech article on that? My Haynes manual is not very good on some things.

Pulling the joints and checking them is free. Up above, you said you didn't want to throw parts at it. You're right though. U-joint are fairly cheap. If you're doing the work, might as well just replace them entirely with new ones.

For a writeup, I'd check www.stu-offroad.com
TJgirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tryed this, after you put it in 4wheele drive and then take it back out, put it in reverse and back up about ten feet, this should make sure it is out, worth a try anyway! allso make sure your diffs have the addative and oil that they need, if not it can stear weird and make a clunking noise sometimes. good luck, let us know what you find out
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJgirl wrote:
have you tryed this, after you put it in 4wheele drive and then take it back out, put it in reverse and back up about ten feet, this should make sure it is out, worth a try anyway! allso make sure your diffs have the addative and oil that they need, if not it can stear weird and make a clunking noise sometimes. good luck, let us know what you find out

There is no special additive for the front unless you would have a friction-based limited slip. I'm assuming it's got an open front so just regular old gear oil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: