Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spring Over Axle Conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wqrt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Spring Over Axle Conversion Reply with quote

Anybody have instructions on how to do this right? Will this screw up highway driving? Is it recomended for highway too or just off-road vehicles?

Thanks

'80 CJ-7
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.links4jeeps.com/search.php?whichtype=all&filled=1&search=spring%20over
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/cjsoa.html
The 2nd link is pretty complete - pay attention to the part about using a ladder bar. As for on the road, if you can get it all dialed in, you'd probably be okay, but....
shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily driver is a SOA YJ. I scrapped the sway bar and trac bars long before hand. You can drive it on the highway. the things I noticed are it is affected more by wind. A crosswind tends to buffet you around. A head wind gives you more drag than normal.

other than that the normal things about lifts apply. you can have any two of the following good,fast, and cheap. you won't get all three.

As for the ladder bar, something to control traction is necessary, the design of most ladder bar or torque arms inherently limits articulation. Not really a bad thing since you get crazy articulation doing an SOA. My rig flexes so madly I don't notice it doing it's job. I spent a good portion of my research on doing the SOA on axle wrap. I still watch for new and different ideas. My newest interest is the third link from a tractors 3 point hitch. I think it was on 4bangersjp that isaw it. the guy had welded a bracket on to his spring plate for the rear attachment and bolted the front to the spring hanger. he did his on the outside of the frame I might try it on the inside. Just have to get to tractor supply. Another thing you can do is get custom spring packs. I talked to a guy in the denver Colorado area that used deaver springs with double military and a snail wrap. after going SOA on 20 CJ-7's he reported no axle wrap. I found something similar on JPmagazines web site. They had taken a spare set of springs. cut the eyes off the main leaf and slipped it under the main they were using, then took the second leaf and mounted it on top of the spring pack. They said it worked, but not necessarily as well as the deaver set up or a torque arm. They didn't recommend it for a high HP V-8 either. My own experience with my tbi 4 cyclinder is that a full length add-a-leaf will solve most of the problem. I just don't have an idea of how much more I could hook up if I went with another supplement.
wqrt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Difficulty meter Reply with quote

How hard of a job is it, to get everything dialed in once it's lifted? 1 to 10? 10 being the hardest.
shotgun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dialed In. That's a hard question, since you'll see more seat time than time watching your rig. I'd say I was 90% good to go once it was back on all four. But it took nearly 9 months before I went wheeling with some body that knew what was going on. My little 4cyl could wrap the axle pretty good against an obstacle. I added another clamp to the spring pack and feel I have almost answered that. Which is why I'm still researching traction devices.

In the lift we calculated many things. I bought procrap 3000's for a 4 inch yj lift. we set them at half travel when mounting the new shock tabs. And this is where they have stayed. I haven't hit bottom or top that I know of. Many of my early runs I got to places where I knew I flexed mad in the past. Parked if I could and got out to look at things. I was disappointed by many of these places. Feeling I wasn't flexing near enough or anywhere near the limits of the jeep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: