Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A twist on an old topic.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good idea or no?
Yes, By George I think you've got it!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, What the Sam hell were you thinking!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Maybe, Go back to the drawing board Einstein.
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

pamoose34

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: A twist on an old topic. Reply with quote

I was just looking at old topics and some of you out there have done U-bolt flip kits, but have any of you seen or performed a spring over conversion on your YJs.

I was putting a shackle lift on recently and I was thinking... (I know that is dangerous) 'Man, I wonder how hard it would be or if it were possible to do a spring over rather than under to get some height without doing a whole kit. I'm sure someone out there has done it before.' [For the factory axles, I know there are lots of variation with other brands that would make it very easy.]

I was invisioning a plate with hole for centering pin on the leaf and a curved under side to rest on top of the axle. The second plate fits under the axle with a stump for alignment purposes. I would connect the two plates with four 3/8" five pin bolts.

Let me know what you guys think.
tonloco

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have not done it but a buddy of mine not did the SOA on his but on 2 others and they not had any problems and he did everything himself no kits involved
pamoose34

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know I think it is a little more complicated than just putting the springs over and rebolting them down. You will need to get longer shocks or make an extender as well as use a pitman arm dropper, you also have to consider the brake lines and a t-case drop.
I know rubicon express has one but it didn't look right (it was missing pieces) and I aint payin' $300 for one. There has got to be a cheaper way!
tonloco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is more complicated than flipping spring perches but is still cheap to do and is still running a slipyoke on the t-case no drop and yes you will need longer shocks unless you modify the shock mounts you will also need longer brake lines the point i was making is that you dont have to buy the kit you will just have spend some time grinding and welding
shotgun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap Spring over costs nearly as much if not more than a well executed spring over.

I won't say I did my spring over, but I damned sure participated. If you have a 100% stock jeep with track bars, sway bar, etc. Here's my parts list.

JKS Trac Bar for front.
Torque Bar / arm to control rear axle wrap.
Spring perches
ubolts
shocks
brake lines
SYE
Driveshafts
Cross over / high steer of some kind
Springs
center bolts for the spring pack

And of course wheels and tires.

Some Warnings:
DO NOT bootyfab the steering. Z-bars are a freaking joke.
The Front trac bar and sway bar are needed. SOA's have amazing flex and the continue to do this on the road.

Some may question new springs. Yes the stock springs will warp, wrap and twist. You can control this by doing a homemade spring pack but your going to need another set of stock springs to do this. With the extra springs take the most abused and worn springs. split the pack, and whack off the spring eyes on the main leaf. Take the other spring pack and insert the modified main leaf under the unmodified main leaf and place the second leaf over the main leaf. This combination makes hardly any difference in the spring rarte but will control wrap with a 4 banger and give the springs a bit of extra strength.

If you have the cash Call Deaver and have them make custom SOA springs for you. They can make a double military wrap with a snail wrap, this normally cuts out any axle wrap the down side is their springs are roughly $600 for a set of 4.

If you don't do a SOA right the first time you'll end up buying more replacement parts than doing it right would have cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: