Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

**AFTERMARKET OVERHEAD CONSOLE**

View previous topic :: View next topic  
funinthesun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: **AFTERMARKET OVERHEAD CONSOLE** Reply with quote

I have been searching for weeks for a overhead console (similar to the TUFFY console for the TJ) that I can put in my XJ. I've seen them in several pics on the net, so I know they're out there, but I just can't locate one. Some help on this would be much appreciated.

Does anyone have a clue where I can find one, or even have one fabricated? Thanks Team!
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had checked on this extensively a few months ago, and the only answer I found was I would need to get one from the boneyard. Tuffy makes an aftermarket console, but only for CJs, YJs, and TJs. The ones in the KJs and WJs/WKs won't work because the computer guts won't mate to an XJ. I think (but not 100% sure) that ZJ consoles DO work with XJs, but I have not found any tech data to back this up.

It also depends on whether or not your XJ already has the wiring harness in the roof for it anyway. My '00 does have it, but I've put off my search for the consoles for now. DC is famous for installing harnesses for stuff they don't install later on, like the tweeter door speakers that go behind your mirrors.

If you do decide to make your own, keep in mind that to mount the box you'd need to drill into the headliner moulding, or if you've removed that for whatever reason, the bare metal of the ceiling. In any case, you'd have to be careful how heavy you fab the console, 'cuz you don't want that thing to drop on your head after a heavy jolt offroad. Or at least you'd need to reinforce it with more screws, bigger screws, etc...

HTH

funinthesun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a console up there. But since space is limited in the XJ's, I thought I could go ahead and find one that could hold my CB, ect. My console is already wired, but I'm not so concerned with keeping the electronics as I am gaining storage and funtionability.

Hopefully some XJ'er has the answer I am looking for!!
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is your XJ? I might buy that console from you once you've found your replacement.

funinthesun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a '94. I am totally up for that. It's tan, so it can be easily dyed.

...Now if I could just find that Console...
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about color, I can paint it anything. Just PM me when you find what you're looking for.

Good luck! thumbs

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake69 wrote:
DC is famous for installing harnesses for stuff they don't install later on, like the tweeter door speakers that go behind your mirrors.

Actually it's not just DC...most manufacturers are doing it now. The reason why is so that dealers can install options without having run new harnesses. Plus, it's cheaper to make one master harness for a vehicle when compared to having to manufacture different harnesses for different options. Wink

As far as I know, no one makes an aftermarket overhead console for XJ's. There's not much up there to mount it to either. The factory one is light...so to support any kind of weight, you'd pretty much have to reinforce that area of the roof and then attach to that.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: