Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4wd disengage the right way?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paracutin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the harm in driving around in 4wd all the time?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you don't go at highway speeds, there won't be any more than normal wear and tear. your front tires will most likely wear faster, you might feel it in the steering a little.

i could be wrong on that one though.
________
gm foods

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paracutin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I'm going to ask next don't you?

What will happen at highway speeds?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. are you serious or just trying to see what i'll come up with??? LOL

well since i don't have anything better to do, here it goes:

i don't know what will happen at highway speeds, i'm just going off of the factory recommendations for the speed, and my personal experience of having a tj/xj for around 6ish years.

now i haven't seen this with my own eyes, but a friend of mine said that his daughter drove his jeep around in 4wd on the highway "without knowing it", and the t-case fried.

i do know what will happen if you engage 4wd while going down the highway doing about 80mph. let's just say it's not pretty.
________
Ford Transit specifications

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paracutin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was serious. You posed the question when you answered my previous one.
Quote:
as long as you don't go at highway speeds...

My manual mentions NOTHING about a top speed while in 4wd so when you said
Quote:
as long as you don't go at highway speeds...
I figured there must have been a reason.

I understand about shifting in and out of 4wd at a reasonable speed. Thanks for confirming that.

If this thread is bothering you please feel free to resist answering. I'm not trying to upset anyone. I'm simply trying learn more about my Jeep so I don't do something stupid to it.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing something stupid in your jeep should only be left up to Dozerdan.

Your fine, just learning, which is a good thing. I've always followed the rule that no faster than 55mph while in 4hi, but never really knew why. I'm sure it has something to do with the t-case not being able to handle it at high speeds.

My Morning Jacket
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
basically if you're moving in 4wd, there is load on all the parts in the axle that are engaging. so even if you disengage 4wd, the meshed parts may continue staying that way under load. usually coming to a stop or even letting off the gas should "unload" the parts.

Putting it into reverse forces the load to be removed from the drivetrain and allows it to drop out fully.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't mind answering the posts. but there are people who just try to poke at you cuz they're board. like me. LOL

i usually recommend following the guidelines unless your "improving" something. in this case stoping would be "improving", but like i said before that's technically old school.

on some of the newer import 4x4 it actually has a label right by the shifter stating that you can shift up to 55mph and to stop when shifting in or out of 4LO.

personally i try to keep my shifts below 40mph. i really don't think you would ever be driving and not notice way ahead of time that it was getting slippery and slow down.
________
Falcon GTHO Phase III

ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving around in 4WD full-time without having a full-time or all wheel drive t-case is a bad idea. It'll work okay if you only drive straight...but as soon as you start making turns, you'll be putting all kinds of weird forces on parts.

A part-time transfer case doesn't have a differential. The front spins as fast as the rear...there is no differentiation. This creates a problem on high traction surfaces (like streets under good weather, etc). When you turn, the front axle follows a larger arc than the rear axle. This requires the front end to turn faster than the rear. Without a differential, this can cause binding in the t-case and can lead to its failure...as well as any other driveline component, whichever is the weakest link.

A full-time transfer or all wheel drive vehicle will have something in it that allows differentiation between the speeds of the front and rear driveshafts. Typically, a a viscous coupling allows this differentiation to occur.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is off topic, but what is the max speed that can be safely maintained while in 4H with out destroying the t-case.

I mentioned a while ago, that just for fun I went to a local drag strip just to see what my TJ would do, my buddy jokeingly said "since your having traction problems why not put it 4H and see what it does."
I didn't do it.
As far as traction. I know it would've helped, but I had a top speed of 76mph and I'm sure it's probably not safe to go over 55 or 60.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
I know this is off topic, but what is the max speed that can be safely maintained while in 4H with out destroying the t-case.

I believe the manual states 55mph. I couldn't tell you how fast you can push it. It's not like if you hit 83.65mph once it will self-destruct. Probably the longer a duration and higher the speed, the more damage you potentially cause and the larger risk you take.

Mine has probably never seen more than 50mph. If you need 4WD, you shouldn't be driving that fast....let alone faster.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we IBTJn and I where coming back from a run and the highway was slicker than crap. Used 4-high to get back on a stretch. I dont think where much over 55mph for very long.
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the skinny, right from the manual of my 2000 TJ command-trac 4-wheel drive.

Caution!
Never operate Command-trac in 4-wheel drive on dry, hard-surfaced roads for a sustained period. Use 4L only when needed for added pulling power. Using 4 wheel drive on such roads will cause stress and possible damage to components, as well as make shifting dificult. To reduce shifting effort, drive the vehicle in reverse for a few feet, or drive off the hard surfaced road momentarily to allow tire slippage.

Transfer case Shifting
2H position-
This position is designed for driving on hard surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4 wheel drive is not needed.
4H position-
this position is designed for temporary use of 4 wheel drive for traction when driving in rain, snow, mud, sand or when driving off-road. Do not use 4H on dry, paved roads. To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.
4L position-
This position is designed for temporary use of 4 wheel drive when off pavement driving conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4L on dry paved roads. To engage 4L, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph(3-5km/h). While the vehicle is coasting forward at 2-3 mph, shift the transmission to neutral(N), then shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L.

Caution!!
Never attempt to engage Low range when vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph. Only engage 4 Low while the vehicle is coasting in neutral at 2-3 mph. Do not attempt to engage 4 Low when vehicle is stationary. Transfer case damage may result.
The End

I have not seen anything indicating a max speed limit for 4 wheel drive, nor a requirement for shifting in reverse other than stated above. I think the important thing to remember is when in 4 wheel at any speed, wheel slip is required to reduce stress on components. i very rarely shift mine in 4H and almost never in 4L during day to day driving. If in an snowstorm and deep snow i need to get though a drift and i'm spinning, I shift in 4H, if i'm playing in the sand hills and mud, i'm in 4H as well, If it's slippery on the highways, I'm in 2H and just taking my time. If it's crazy as hell storming out and everyone is in the ditch( happens too often here) I may pop it in 4H just for that peace of mind.
Hope this helps.[/b]
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do not attempt to engage 4 Low when vehicle is stationary. Transfer case damage may result.

that's interesting. i don't remember that one. i usually always stop when i engage 4LO. it's kinda hard to go 2-3mph when your in thick slop.

why would/could it result in damage shifting at a stop. i don't think that makes sense.
________
Omaha Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant specifications

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on that. I dont understand it much myself. The only thing i can see Is it may help mesh the gears better at a slow crawl. I've done it both ways and it works, at a crawl and at a stop. Like you said, if your stuck, where are you crawling too? your stuck!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: