Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual Tops Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowrider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Dual Tops Question Reply with quote

I got both tops with my new Unlimited. The owner's manual says to remove the soft top right away to keep it from getting "damaged." In the procedure for removing it the manual says to first remove the hard top, then remove the entire soft top assy, then replace the hard top.

Two questions:

Is it really necessary to remove the soft top right away or will it be alright leaving it until the weather gets nice and I remove the hard top for the summer? I mean, how is it going to get "damaged?" I don't have anybody riding in the back seat and I'm not hauling any big stuff in the back.

If I DO want to remove it is it necessary to first remove the hard top or can I work the soft top assy out of the rig with the hard top in place?

Thanks

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flexing of the body on road and travelling over bumps can rub the top together and could cause premature wear.

You will need to remove the hard top to get the soft top out. Unclip the header latches, undo the retaining bolts, unclip the wiring harness. Get a buddy or two and lift up.
Lowrider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first bought my Jeep, the wife and I were thinking of buying a hard top for it for the winter months, till we found out how much they were.
A guy I sorta know told me he use to own a TJ and had the two top setup. He also said that he liked the hard top, but because his TJ had the "soft top" springs in the rear the tires would rub because of the extra weight.

It's obvious that the hard top is heaver, but tell me if this isn't a load of CRAP.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap!!
I bought my TJ it was 4 years old, the guy before me had never removed the soft top from it's original package. Kept the hard top on the whole time. The windows were handed to me in the original cardboard box. When I opened the soft top up for the first time you have to set it up and it was in perfect condition.
And the rear end never sagged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: