Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

am i cursed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoFEAR4x4jc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: am i cursed? Reply with quote

ok.. im 17 years old. i recently purchased what is my second car, a 96 cherokee 4X4 w/ 84k miles. i was hoping that this jeep would be my absolute fun machine, but it turns out to just be a stream of bad luck.
for example: I have owned this jeep for about 5 months and these are the problems I have encountered: 1. my power steering return hose ruptured, drained all of the fluid, and left me with a whining noise. 2. during a light session of mudding, my O2 sensor somehow melted on the exhaust manifold and caused me to run rich until I could solder the sensor to a new wire (that I got off of a 2003 grand cherokee but works fine). sounds bad enough but sadly this is nowhere near the end
I was doin some hill climbing at a popular local offroad spot (anyone from alpharetta, Ga area may be familiar) called happy trail. I decended a 20 foot hill with a pretty decent angle grade at about 40 mph for a thrill. as I got off the hill and returned to flat land, I all of a sudden heard a very loud strike on the rear right of my XJ. I got out and realized that I had hit a buried metal pipe! this thing must have been 2 inches in diamiter, and about 1/4 in. thick. the damage was quite impressive... it put a hole in the gas tank (80 dollar fix, thanks ebay!) and it bent the bumper a good bit.
later, (at happy trail again) I climbed a very steep hill and backed down. During my backing process, my exhaust pipe got caught on top of a dirt mound that was sticking out of the ground. it bent the pipe pretty friggin hard and made a very bad sound. i turned the car off immediately.. and used my jack to jack the pipe tip up to unkink the pipe. this did the trick, but there is still a small kink in the pipe. my most recent problem is one that has me in a panic. I just discovered that there is a serplus of water under my carpet. I traced the front driver and passenger leak points to the black rubber protectors on the firewall. there is also a large ammount of water on the rear right side of the trunk space. I have completely gutted the entire interior and am trying to decide what to do next.
luckily, I am in auto shop at my high school. because of this, all of the repairs I have done were by me and I only had to pay for parts. I still think this is rediculous because I love my jeep and I just want it to run up to its ability. maybe I am cursed... does anyone else have any story to share?
-alex
Drake69

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not so much a story to tell, but some things you seem to desperately need. Skid plates, skid plates, and more skid plates. You're wheeling your rig pretty hard, and that's cool, but to reduce the damage your getting in these areas you need to armor up underneath. Yeah, they aren't cheap, but for around $800 you'll save yourself a lot of headaches down the road. Gas tank skid, LCA skids, t-case skid, engine skid (if you can get one from the boneyard), and the crossmember skid plate should be your next big focus. Then you can decide on something like rock rails if you're in an area that needs 'em.

As far as stories, me and Billy were in an area of a trail we shouldn't have been on (trying to take two XJs down an ATV trail on the side of a big hill, *** NOT GOOD ***), and I incurred rear tail light damage because my spotter had jumped back into the rig 'cuz it was cold outside. I had backed straight into a tree that had fallen over, and the trunk slammed right into the driver's side taillight while backing down. That, and nearly flipping over twice while navigating precariously down backwards on a 45 deg. angle hill with suicidal trees all around, and you get the idea.

Which leads me to two other important points, Never run without a spotter, and always survey the area you're in. Know where the danger spots are, and have someone help you see what you can't when trailing. Trust me, both are very important.

Last thing, get some tow straps (the one's without metal hooks) and some anchor points like tow hooks and d-shackles on your framepoints under your rig. You'll need 'em to get yourself out of sticky situations.

Hope this helps, and have fun! thumbs thumbs thumbs

NoFEAR4x4jc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I will be purchasing some skid plates in the near future. thanks for the advise
RockOn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LOL sounds like your learning all about the world of off roading....
I always lay $100 on the dash when I go off road! LOL
If I don't need it then, I save it, because I will need it next time!

Skid plates are alot cheaper than the repairs!
I learned that the hard way!
transfer cases are not cheap....

Oh, by the way is this your everyday driver????

keep in mind mud gets into your brakes & seals....wears them out
AND! keep an eye on your axle fluids!!!!! gears are costly

have fun and break an axle (leg)! LOL
NoFEAR4x4jc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah its my everyday driver... pretty much still stock
GrassNinja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your not cursed. Keep with it, soon all the little bugs will work themselves out. That's what I have been doing with my '87 XJ Full of bugs, but, now Im down to just having to deal with the Ghetto Boost, and my cheap-@ss is gonna go Budget Boost all over it. lol Red-Neck Vs. The Ghetto, Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: