Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recovery stuff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: recovery stuff Reply with quote

up until lately ive just done alot of mud, and no one ever got stuck. now ive finally found some trails and people are getting stuck (not me haha). the problem is that ive got no where to attach a recovery strap. we tried the frame but we bent it a bit. what do you all reccomend as a solution for this problem? i was thinking a trailer hitch in the back (what type would be best? there are about thirty million classes...), but what can you do for the front? thanks in advance..

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want Class III hitches.. There are front hitches available for XJ's. Clicky

You could also go with tow hooks in the front. C4x4 makes a front tow hook/bracket assembly for XJ's. Here's a writeup that majikxms did when he installed his.

You could also go with aftermarket bumpers that have recovery points, but that's the most expensive option.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright thanks, for the front tow hooks, they look like this http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html (XJ tow hook brackets) right? becuase id probably go with that... let's say i do the tow hooks and then want an aftermarket bumper, will they have to be uninstalled or can they stay on there?

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
Tarakian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a proper XJ bumper with tow points, you can take the tow hooks off and trade them or sell them.

Of course, the best thing would be to get a good aftermarket XJ bumper and skip putting tow hooks on all together, but the bumpers arent cheap!

86 XJ 2.5L, 5spd, just got it...
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from having their own recovery points, most aftermarket offroad bumpers use the same attachment points as the tow hook brackets. So most likely, you will not be able to use them. But like was stated above, you can always sell the brackets later.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: