Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Units

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: GPS Units Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out what GPS unit would be best for me. All I need is the basic mapping feature that will allow me to use it offroad and some on the highways.

I guess I'm really looking for a direction in which brand and model to use.

My Morning Jacket
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith,
i started out with garmin's etrex legend. it's the blue model in the etrex lineup. grayscale screen, backlight, and has 8mb of on board memory for loading maps. some of the pros/cons...the backlight eats battery pretty quickly. not a problem if you have a cord for your vehicle...and would only be an issue if using out in the field after daylight is gone. 8mb, while enough for loading maps for some small roadtrips, wasn't quite enough for anything longer than 250 miles worth of distance (unless traveling through severely unpopulated areas with little data). it also doesn't do turn-by-turn routing. this was the main reason that i upgraded to a new unit. i paid around $175 at the time for my legend - it came with a connectivity cord and book - nothing else. the mapsource cd needed for in-depth road travel i had to source elsewhere. the maps that are loaded are main roads/highways only.

garmin etrex legend

i upgraded to a legend C - one of the latest in the etrex lineup. it's been outfitted with a color screen, better allowable angles for viewing, considerably longer battery life both with and without the backlighting, turn-by-turn autorouting, and 24mb of memory for loading maps. this one seems to get a much better signal even though it's the same internal patch antenna as my last one. takes about 15 seconds longer to aquire the satellites...but worth it as it'll hold onto them better. 3x the memory is more than enough for me to load on my roadtrips. i picked up the cd that allows you to load the turn-by-turn routing (paid $90 extra for it at best buy) and this is incredibly detailed...shows even most driveways as you are rolling down the road. i paid around $185 for mine at our local Target - and it came with a USB 2.0 connectivity cord, carrying case, car kit (beanbag mount, sticky pad mount, and dc lighter adapter), and an AC adapter as well.

etrex legend C

i have to say that i was happy with the legend - it did everything that i asked of it and rarely lost a signal. when i did i was usually parked under heavy foliage deep in the heart of PAP! but i'm also extremely happy with my new legend C - the turn-by-turn routing was great for finding hotels/restaurants in some random town up in PA and for mobility you can beat its size! i've never used the magellan brand of GPS nor any other garmin units...but i'm sure all have their good and bad points.
chris (both pics are hotlinks to their respective websites Smile )
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the legend C, I might have to look into that one. There is just so many units out there that it makes it hard to decide.
Thanks for your help!

My Morning Jacket
greenbean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Keith,
I work with GPS units in the military on a daily basis and I will say that for poratable handheld units Garmins can't be beat. If I was making a suggestion as to what to buy first I would want to know what your budget is? That will really narrow it down because you can spend a couple of hundred or less to well over a grand on dedicated in car navigation units that talk to you and tell you where to turn, traffic accidents, blah, blah etc.

The bigger Garmin 76s/76cs are much easier on the eyes as far as driving and following a route, but I use the etrex vista c (small color garmin) as well. Like I said how much you can afford to spend will determine the features you get,.....my 2 cents.

Will
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I really wont be using it to much on road and want a portable one. Anything under $500 would be nice. I've looked at the larger more expensive one's but don't really need it.

Basically, I want one that will work on the back country roads and remote area's while four wheeling. I know some wont work out on the trails and those are the ones that I want to stay aways from.

My Morning Jacket
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Magellan Meridan and it does a real good job, however, the new line of Magellans now use any size SD Memory cards. The bigger the card the more info, waypoints and routes it will hold. I have seen this one in Costco for $399, it included both Street Map and Topo software.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=1071
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
JeepGal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had both the Garmin V and now the Garmin Quest.

Garmin V: $245
http://www.gpsnow.com/gmv.htm

Garmin Quest: $370
http://www.gpsnow.com/gmquest.htm

They are very similar, the Quest has more memory, but performs the same functions. Quest is color. The screens are both of good size. The Quest has the talking function (which is annoying to me...)

They both have the ability to move from vehicle to vehicle, and can be used outside while hiking as well. The Quest charges in its cradle, and the V runs off the car battery while in cradle, and off AA's while out. They both have the ability to track. Both have business information in them with phone numbers (restaurants, lodging, services(gas stations, post offices banks), stores, etc. The software and upgrades are included.

The Quest has enough memory for me to store all of California and then some. The V had barely enough for the surrounding counties. They both automatically had most of the numbered offroad trails on them already, with the ability to use offroad.

We purchased both of them from GPSNow.com. Quick delivery and awesome prices.

Let me know if you have further questions:)

Tam Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thermal event

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: garmin Reply with quote

the etrex legend works nice even with the map software that comes preloaded. If I need more detail I plug it into my laptop and use microsofts streets and trips. It even yells at me when I make a wrong turn.
shotgun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found dave's marine to have good prices. http://www.brokenlegdave.com/

I have an Uncle that works for Garmin. he says that they have untold numbers of units in the sandbox as the DOD calls it. Judging from their bags of fan mail They do a pretty damned good job. the legend cx is color and can handle sd cards. the card become an issue if you live in LA and want detailed maps loaded.

I don't know how familiar you may be with geocaching, but the etrex legend is a favorite in that community. They look for a good balance of features and portability. Cuz they drive and hike to their locations.
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeepGal wrote:
Ive had both the Garmin V and now the Garmin Quest.

I run with the GPS V system, and am looking to upgrade to the Quest II. It's a great easy system to work with. thumbs thumbs

awolfe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone find it useful to have the altimeter/barometer/compass functions like the Garmin 60 ( http://gpsnow.com/gmmap60csx.htm )?

I am wondering if anyone has used the Quest 2 with a Topo Map, and what the experience was like? I tend to like to explore a bit, and am finding the a road oriented GPS (happen to have a Nuvi 350 on loan) is not quite enough. It also looks like the Garmin Jeep Trailguide is just cute Quest 2.

After weeks of research, I have just decided there isn't a unit that has all I want..
1. Extensive Topo and trail details -in a handheld with large enough to read screen
2. Trackback
3. Enter coordinates while on the road (not just POI loader)
4. Compass

Ability to download trails from someplace like:
http://www.treknow.com/
http://www.travelbygps.com/premium/borrego/borrego.php

And then just follow the map Wink (no, I don't want the voice, well at least on the trail)

It seems there is not a question that the Garmin units are just about the best.. just which one...

anyone have experience to share?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5 year old Garmin E-trex vista (before the color screen) and use it all the time. At the time it was $400. and the best hand held unit on the market, but now Iíve seen it as low as $250.
It came loaded with basic maps that shows major roads and freeways. I also bought the Garmin metro guide soft wear that is extremely detailed showing numbered trails and utility access roads witch can be downloaded to the unit. It also has a good amount of memory and doesnít need a card to download trails, routes and waypoints.
It does however go through the batteries, so youíll need the power cord or invest in Duracell stock. I also have a windshield mount specific for the Vista that works pretty slick.
The cord I baught on EBAY for $7.00, if you buy the Garmin cord itís around $40.00.
The windshield mount I also bought on EBAY for $15. But itís a Garmin product.

The barometer is kind of nice, but I donít use it much. Itís neat in that when a storm is coming you can watch the barometric pressure and altitude drop. The altimeter is nice since I do some drag racing when Iím not Jeepiní. It helps when Iím tuning the carb. I live in the mountains and itís kind of neat to know your elevation. There is also GPS Elevation that does not use the barometer, it uses the satellites to triangulate your ďground elevationď, witch can sometimes differ a few hundred feet between the two.

The Vista does have track back feature and it works very well, you just have to save the track you just did then re-select the track you just saved and reverse it.

I hopes this helps

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: