Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scanner mounted in XJ middle vents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Scanner mounted in XJ middle vents Reply with quote

Ok, I got off my rear today and decided to mount my scanner in the middle vents of my dashboard.

Installation was really simple. I pulled out the two rotating vents above the CD player, then pulled firmly on the beizel until the entire cover popped loose. I then took a Dremel tool and cut out the plastic piece that holds the vent pieces in, then cut out the other piece inside that splits the air. After that, I measured the height of the scanner versus the size of the inner portion of the hole and found I needed to cut away the top to make room (the beizel was just the right height). I also had to trim the back wall of the vent to allow the scanner more room to fit comfortably.

Next, I took oven mitts (rated at 500 deg. F) and stuffed them into the vent airholes to restrict air flow getting to the scanner, which could overheat or freeze the electronics inside. I then ran the power and antenna cables behind the beizel and attached them to the back with duct tape. After reattaching the beizel to the dash, I then attached both cables to the scanner and pushed it into the hole, which was a VERY TIGHT fit, and is gripping the scanner perfectly (at least until I figure a way to screw-mount it in).

The only thing left I need to do is rewire the scanner to a better power source rather than using the cig adapter, but you get the idea. The only caveat I found while doing all this is watch how long you use the Dremel on the plastic. If you're not cutting it, you're MELTING it (lovely fumes melted plastic produces!!!). Also, definitely wear eye protection, 'cuz plastic and stuff will fly out at you.

Great stuff!!!

http://www.links4jeeps.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?pic_id=41

http://www.links4jeeps.com/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=43

http://www.links4jeeps.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?pic_id=44

http://www.links4jeeps.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?pic_id=45

Last edited by Drake69 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures don't work.
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just changed them to URL's. Can't seem to get the pix to display.

NOTE: This writeup will also apply to some CBs that are tall enough to fint in the hole! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: