Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shock boots?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: shock boots? Reply with quote

hey guys, i was just woundering if there is a trick to installing shock boots so sand doesnt get stuck in the boot and scratch at the shock arm, or do i just zip tie both ends...anything? i will be installing them on saturday so i need to know how you would install your boots, im thinkin just zip tie both ends
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick is to not install them. All they do is trap dirt, sand, and moisture inside the boot and speed up rusting and damage to the shock.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
The trick is to not install them. All they do is trap dirt, sand, and moisture inside the boot and speed up rusting and damage to the shock.

But they look so cool. rofl

I agree...I learned it the hard way.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the 4 shock boots i got just dont put them in even though ill be driving in the desert and shit....well...thats easy i guess...comfirm this....*dont install shock boots at all*....ok thanks
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah also.....wat torque should i torque my wheels back on too..and also does anyone have any tricks for taking off striped lugs because sum idiot striped one of the lugs on the front tire...alright thanks
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p_2_biking wrote:
anyone have any tricks for taking off striped lugs because sum idiot striped one of the lugs on the front tire...alright thanks

Yep, but your going to have to sacrifice a socket to do it, get a socket that is just BARELY too small to fit the lug nut, BEAT it on with a hammer...now use your breaker bar and socket wrench to remove it, hopefully its just the lug nut and the wheel stud thats stripped.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used a big ass hammer beat the stud out, carefully though

then put the new one in and used a lug nut and the impact gun to pull it through
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lugnuts should be torqued around 75 ft/lbs in an alternating pattern. As far as removing a stripped lug, I've used a socket, a c-clamp and an impact gun with a lot of success....but unless you remove the axle shaft, there's not enough room to do it. I know autozone sells a press for around $30 that will do the job...hell, they prolly rent it out.

Good Luck.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: