Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6" coils

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepxj17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: 6" coils Reply with quote

Hey guys i just bought an 89 xj laredo and it has a complete trailmaster 4.5" lift and a spacer under the springs. Now my question is if i swap the spring with a 6" coild would i need add anything else to the lift?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your gonna have to raise the rear as well....i wouldnt suggest a lift block either
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure I understand the setup here....coil spacers go on top of the spring, not under it. It's in the rear that spacers go under the spring (between the leaf and the axle).

If you are talking about the front, are you sure that what's under it isn't a bumpstop mounted to the perch?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jeepxj17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys the spacer is on top of the spring but what i want to do is replace thise front spring and spacer set up with a rustys 6.5 spring would i have to add anyhting else to the front lift?? would i have to do anyhting with the drive shaft?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might run into wobbles after going to that height. If it has adjustable control arms, you should be able to dial in a pinion angle that will solve driveshaft problems. Going to that height will also create some high steering angles. You might have to put in a drop pitman arm.

Does it have an adjustable trackbar? If so you might need to re-center the axle too.

I know it's a lot of 'mights'...but lifting is not an exact science. Every Jeep reacts differently.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wanting to do the same thing to mine. I have a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with a 1" spacer kit. Today, with my sway bar disconnected, I rean into the problem of my front axle wanting to flex too much. The coils almost completely came out at a full flex.

Would the Rusty's 6.5" coils help mine if i replaced them with my existing springs and spacers??????? I just don't want to have to make any other mods to the front end, other than a drop pitman arm.

If not, then what do you guys suggest??
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gtouimet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you have a 3.5" coil with a 1" spacer. That is a 4.5". If you put in the rusty's 6.5", that is a 2" jump. You didn't say what your running up front, but like ThePhantum said Every Jeep reacts differently.
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said i'm running a 3.5" lift with a 1" spacer. So that would mean a 3.5" coil spring and then a 1" coil booster/spacer on top of it. When I flex the front end , coil wants to completely fall out. In other words, the existing 3.5" lift spring is not long enough. I need to find the right length spring that is long enough for me to flex to the truck's full potential.
I also wanted to know what else I would have to modify........front driveline(is the stock one long enough, and if not , can i buy a longer slip yoke anywhere?) I know i'd need longer brake lines, and possibly a drop pitman arm.......
Will the trailing arms, trac bar, etc that i have now be ok to use with the 6.5" springs?

hope that's enough info
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, is it just me or are you guys missing that little metal bracket on the bottom of the spring that holds the coil in place???

i installed a lift on my TJ and my XJ and did an axle swap and they all had a little clip holding the coil down with a 13mm bolt through it. i've never had a problem with my coils falling out.
________
Dodge A100 specifications

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's there, and it's supposed to be. Without it the coil will pop loose with any extreme amount of flexing. Even if yours hasn't yet, you're taking a chance it will when you might need it most.

GrassNinja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey if any of you guys want to get rid of those spacers fairly cheap, please send me a PM. Im putting together a budget boost for my '87 heap at the moment. I just picked up some ZJ V8 springs, a couple spacers would be great. thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: