Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my brakes are dragging

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyman246

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: my brakes are dragging Reply with quote

My brakes are dragging and i dont know how else to fix them. Heres what i have done so far: new master cylinder and bled the brake lines. There are new shoes and calipers and still they are sticking so bad that they turn bright red and almost catch fire. I dont know what to do from here. The only other thing i can think of is it might be my brake booster. Any ideas?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) year make and model

2) have you done any brake modifications

3) are you sure the brake parts are for you vehicle

4) do you have the correct caliper pins/bolts??? if they're to short it won't allow the caliper to move

5) is everything lubed properly. the guides at the end of the brake shoes and the guides they ride on. the caliper slide pins.

6) make sure you don't have pinched off/kinked brake lines. when you bleed the brakes, does the fluid come out in a nice stream or slow and trickled???

that's all i can think of for right now.
________
volcano vaporizer

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tonyman246

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my jeep is a 1991 cherokee classic

There are no brake modifications

I wouldnt think that i have the wrong pads but im not sure, the guys at o'reilly gave me the pads and disks, so i hope they know what they are talking about.

I do have the correct stock bolts.

everything seems to be lubed correctly, but i dont see a stream, it comes out at a steady drip though.
pipxj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

Try this site too. http://midwestjeepthing.com

I see you're from the STL, there's bound to be local help too. Good group of jeepers here and there.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but i dont see a stream, it comes out at a steady drip though

a drip??? are you gravity bleeding them??? see if you can get a partner to help you bleed the brakes by the book just to make sure that part is working alright.
________
Honda MT50

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: bleeding Reply with quote

The fluid comes out in a drip when bleeding? If you have someone press on the brake and then open the bleed valve it should stream out. If all you get is a drip then you have something crushed, frozen or some kind of blockage. The fluid usually comes out hard enough that you should use a hose to aim it into a catch basin or it will spray all over the place. It's not the brake booster but possibly the master cylinder. Do all the brakes stick or just the fronts or backs? I wouldn't drive it in the state it's in, the wheels should turn freely by hand when off the ground.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
RockOn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you lifted the Jeep?
After lifting mine I had to give my parking break some slack.....
just an idea....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: