Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1993 Cherokee e-brake problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdogthehog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: 1993 Cherokee e-brake problem Reply with quote

Hi there,

For some reason, the thumb button on the e-brake lever that you push when dis-engaging the e-brake decided to pop right off. This had required me to have to stick a knife down through the opening and jiggle the metal rod in the middle in order to get the brake fully disengaged. Until I was going to have it fixed I was just not using the brake and setting my jeep in the first or reverse gear (manual). Unfortunately, I had to have my jeep valet parked. Despite telling the guy to not set the parking brake, he did and by the time it got back to me, it was obvious they had really tried to jimmy-it in order to get it disengaged. The red brake light comes on showing that the e-brake is on whenever I turn the car on, however the lever is just barely raised up from its disengaged resting spot. I am not sure if it is engaged at all or not, but I can't help but worry about it. I am wondering if there is another way to disengage the ebrake. The metal rod within the lever is completely loose and I could probably pull it all the way out if I tried.
Any and all help is welcomed, thank you.

Bdog
GrassNinja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, you could pull the E-brake cable out if you wanted. But, I think I remember seeing E-brake buttons in the misc. rack at my local Schucks store. Where they have like Door handles, and nobs, and window lock nobbies. You know. Give that a shot, or cann. one off a junker. It would really be easier just to grab a new lever I think. If I remember correclty, not too tough to swap it out. Good luck
pipxj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to mine. Had to replace the entire e-brake lever assembly. I was lucky, at the time my uncle was a mechanic at a dodge dealer so he got the part at cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: