Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

98 Jeep Cherokee Won't Start 4.0L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Bart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: 98 Jeep Cherokee Won't Start 4.0L Reply with quote

My Cherokee won't start, been sitting for a couple months but was running when I parked it.Has good spark, seems like it isn't getting any fuel, any suggestions? It's my Dark Forest Green Baby Sad
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
[/b]
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the fuel pump, do you hear the pump run when you turn on the ignition?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. When you turn the ignition on, the pump should run for a few seconds to bring up fuel pressure and then cut off. If the pump doesn't run at all, it's most likely bad. If it runs for longer than 3-4 seconds, then there's either a fuel leak (which you would smell) or the regulator is bad and not holding pressure at the fuel rail.

If the pump runs and cuts off after a few seconds, like it's supposed to, then you are probably looking at a sensor problem...most likely cause would be either the Crank or Camshaft Position Sensors.

It's been sitting for a few months...are you sure the gas is still good? Fresh gas might make the difference...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J Bart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I turn the key on I don't here the fuel pump kick on which I thought for sure I used to...I have put fresh gas in and even a bottle of gas line drier in case moisture got in.
I'll try tapping on the pump with the key on next.
J Bart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sorry about the delay, all heck busted loose on the personal front(works going crazy, uncle in hosptal and I'm the closest one etc..)
AND emails from here were getting dumped in my "spam" box which I have corrected.
Haven't had time to even look at the Jeep until today/this week...was hoping for some temps above the freezing mark as well since I live in the north Confused days are getting above but nights have dropped back to fureeeeeezing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: