Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choice between lockers and limited slip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarjeep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Choice between lockers and limited slip Reply with quote

After wheeling and getting stuck in a stupid place, Embarassed I am now convinced that I need to change things. I would like to add limited slip as well as lockers. Should I add the limited slip to the front or the rear and the lockers to front or rear? What is the benifit of going either way. I would only use the lockers when doing serious wheeling. The limited slip would be nice to have to avoid getting stuck in stupid places. Any recommendations on brands? I always prefer to go with industry standards like ARB or Detroit. This is a 01 Wrangler daily driver.

Thanks,

Brian
RockOn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i'm not mistaking lockers are the best way to go for offroading, I believe limited slip is better for sports cars....

ARB & Detroit are the most recommended lockers

Personally I have a Lockright locker....about half the price...but you get what you pay for.......although I'm very satisfied with mine, have had it installed for 5 years & no problems

I personally would not get an ARB (alot of peeps use on front end), I think it is over engineered.......something WILL fail sooner or later.....
(although alot of peeps swear by them, you got air pump, air lines, switches, etc......also one of the most expensive units available)

There is a locker that is engaged by a lever, not cheap, but better than ARB in the fact that the only thing that can keep you from engaging that locker is the lever or cable.......I personally wish I had this one.

Again personally.......Detroit would be the best way to go.

These are my opinions....
badger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OX locker is the one with a cable and it blows harder then ARB.the actuater arm is mounted on a custom diff cover.

there is also the E-Locker which works on electric .there is the Electra locker also works on elelctric.

as for lockers there are several different companies that put out lockers

Detroit
Powertraxs
Detroit
ARB
OX
Lock-Rite(lunchbox locker)

now as to what i would run

nothing but Detroit.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how hard is it to install a locker? or should i just get someone to do it?
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to watch one put in this past weekend, and there were a lot of small parts that had to be greased and fitted to make it work. Depending on the model of locker, it does take considerable time getting everything to work, but someone comfortable with tools can definitely do it. It's also important to work on a flat garage floor, you definitely don't wanna be monkeying around an open diff cover on a gravel or grassy surface. The gears might not like it too much.

You want to make sure you clean the edges off of any old sealant with a razor blade when you remove the cover from the diff. Also be prepared to have a few quarts of diff fluid and a good sealant for the cover when you're ready to put it back on. Get good writeup instructions to go by prior to taking anything apart and read them thoroughly before going in, and you should be okay. It's not a bad idea to have someone around whose done this before either in case you forget something.

badger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have to ask get somebody to do it

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defently rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: