Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

locker in my zj

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: locker in my zj Reply with quote

i have had trouble getting info on the various types of lockers. even in other forums and clubs. i understand the air, cable, and electric engaged lockers but have been looking at the others due to price. i am a bit confused between the trac-lok, detroit, nospin, quick lok, ezlocker, lock right, and true trac. what i am looking for is a fairly moderate priced locker for the back of my 95 zj (dana 35c) that has good on road handeling characteristics. i use it as a daily driver and have heard bad things about some of these lockers when cornering in wet, snowy, or icy conditions. any advice would be great.

thanks
mudd
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the detroit true track in mine. And its invisible on road..
But its not as good off road as a track lock would be.
If I had it to do over again.. I would get at tracklock (sp) It is more noticable on road and off.. I have heard that they are almost to agressive on road .. But thats a trade off..
The only way you get completely stock feel on road and locked power off road is with a selectable locker .. And that means $$$$$$

Keep your eye on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33731&item=2458558469
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33731&item=2458789538
Here is what I have ..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33731&item=2458829093
This is a good one... Very easy to install

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2459098691&category=33731

That should help you out...

If you have any questions just ask...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
I have the detroit true track in mine. And its invisible on road..
But its not as good off road as a track lock would be.
If I had it to do over again.. I would get at tracklock (sp)

I had both limited slips in mine (rear). It came from the factory with the trac-loc and I thought it was miserable. Better than open I guess, but once I really started wheeling, it really wasn't doing much than providing a weakspot in my 44. I found a real sweet deal on a true trak and picked that up and had it installed when I regeared. While it's still only a limited slip, it's gear driven as opposed to the clutch pack design of the trac-loc and I have actually noticed it on the trail (which is good I reckon Mr. Green ). I wanted something that would be as close to a locker without actually being a locker for the rear because I didn't wanna deal with the hassles of it being a daily driver. I've been really happy with what I ended up with. Even when I used it in 4WD on snow covered roadways, I could immediately feel the difference in traction from the old setup. My experiences seem to be a bit different than yours, but I like it Mr. Green .
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the Superior Super 35 fitted to my TJ this comes with a Detroit NoSpin (Soflocker). Initially it felt real strange as though the axle was loose when applying power after changing gear and when lifting off. By driving smoother (clutch fully up then apply power gently) the problem disappeared. Now I dont notice it, even on the snow covered roads we have here in PA quite frequently. Not tried it on the trail, yet.
mudd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. its very helpful. i have decided to go with the true trac up front, but my problem is in the rear (that sounds wrong Laugh ). i want the super 35 kit, but dont want the arb or detroit that comes with the kit. ive read write ups that ox makes a locker specificaly for the super 35, and that people even have it! but i cant find it anywhere. does anyone know if this product or combo is out there? i cant even find the super 35 kit without a locker. it seems to me you should be able to buy just the upgraded shafts, bearings and stuff without having to settle for one of two lockers. one more question: does superior gear and axel still exists? i have not been able to access their website for over 3 days now, and all email addresses linked to that company get returned with errors??

thanks
mudd
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it looks like they changed their website (not sure when - haven't been to it in a couple months) but here it is. I really haven't seen anything about the Ox locker in a few months. I know their company was having some major problems. Hopefully, they'll get it straightened out or sell the tooling to another company.
mudd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i appriciate the website. i did find that a little earlier but the email they list keeps getting returned. ill keep trying, i think they might be having some trouble with their webpage, it keeps crashing on me.

thanks again
mudd
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudd wrote:
i cant even find the super 35 kit without a locker. it seems to me you should be able to buy just the upgraded shafts, bearings and stuff without having to settle for one of two lockers.

I'm just guessing it's a demand issue. Since the ARB or Detroit replace the stock carrier and accomadate for the increased spline count of the shafts, they'd have to include an open carrier to accept the new shafts. I'd have to figure that the demand for an upgraded open carrier just isn't out there in the market and that'd be why they don't sell the upgrade w/o a locker, if that makes sense. You can get upgraded shafts for the 35, problem is that they're just upgraded from stock. You don't get the benefit of the extra splines. While I believe they are stronger, they'd still just be 27spline shafts.

As far as OX goes, I do remember reading awhile ago that they were available like you mentioned. But this was before all the trouble that they had, so I don't know what's up with that company now. I've heard rumors on other boards, but haven't seen them advertising anywhere as of late. Shame too, I liked the cable locker a little bit more than the ARB's air lines.
mudd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys i really appriciate the info! guess im just s.o.l Mr. Green
ill just have to settle for the arb. second best aint bad i guess. Laugh

thanks
mudd
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. As soon as I can afford it, I'll be settling for a couple ARB's myself Mr. Green .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: