Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do 2 or 3" Coil Spacers actually work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JXJ96

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Do 2 or 3" Coil Spacers actually work? Reply with quote

Basically I'm looking to get a cheap lift(not in quality though Confused ). I have been looking around online and found coil spacers. It sounds perfect, what i want is a 2 or 3" lift which wont effect the ride much and will look good while still being fairly inexpensive. If im not doing any major off roading is this the way to go?

I found the spacers at http://www.rocky-road.com/xjsus.html

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well..
Offroad Overstock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Do 2 or 3" Coil Spacers actually work? Reply with quote

JXJ96 wrote:
Basically I'm looking to get a cheap lift(not in quality though Confused ). I have been looking around online and found coil spacers. It sounds perfect, what i want is a 2 or 3" lift which wont effect the ride much and will look good while still being fairly inexpensive. If im not doing any major off roading is this the way to go?

I found the spacers at http://www.rocky-road.com/xjsus.html

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well..

Yes they work...I wouldnt go over 2" though. $42 a pair??? YIKES! Try www.offroadoverstock.com $30 a pair.
sbdrumr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll be fine with 3 inches of spacer
I had that setup on my '93 for years on my stock sagging OE springs light offroading with no problem

oh yeah, forget rocky road
they have the worst customer service of anyone that I've used (and others I know)
they also guarantee you of a 99% chance they will mess up your order or it will be backordered and they won't tell you
Mopar500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I know my stupidity is showing but...
Since the fronts are coil springs and the rears are leaf springs, wouldn't coil spacers just be useful up front? Wouldn't that give a squatty look? I assume something similar is available for the leaf springs out back.

Also, are stock ride height shocks usable with these spacers?
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I've got 3" Rubicon Express coils in the garage, wouldn't that be the same amount of lift as putting a 3" spacer in?? Would this work with the stock trailing arms and sway bar links??? I'm just tring to get enough lift on my sister's 95 XJ to fit 31's as cheap as possible.
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopar: There are 4 options you have for the rear: blocks, shackles, add-a-leafs (AAL) and leaf packs. All have their ups and downs. The leaf packs will be the most expensive, as you are replacing the entire leaf spring. Add-a-leafs are simply an extra leaf thrown into your existing leaf pack. If your leafs sag now, they'll eventually sag again awhile after the AAL's have been installed. Longer shackles simply push your existing leaves further from the unibody. They oftentimes will provide more flex. Blocks are usually the bottom of the budget. Blocks are simply a metal block that is fitted between the axle and leaf pack. Blocks get a bad wrap from causing axle wrap, which is when your leafs start to make an "S" shape.
Most people on a budget will use either shackles or an AAL to add lift to the rear. If you want to make your own lift, here's a great write-up on it:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083&highlight=bastard+writeup

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: