Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On top of the world

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mycatsdied

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: On top of the world Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have just recently become a jeep owner after wanting one for my whole life. I absolutley love it and find myself constantly looking out the window to make sure its still there and Im not dreaming. Today I was told about this site by a freind and have been on all day reading every topic. This is a great site and everyone seems to be extremely helpful.

The jeep I just bought is a 99 sport with 52K miles and came with factory hard and soft top. It had 1 PO and was always garaged. No wheeling and interior is perfect and there are a few minor things on the exterior (faded flares and paint off side mirrors). Anyway Its gorgeous and I love it.

I just have a few questions ....

1. I had the vehicle inspected before I bought and everything checked out as normal wear and tear. However It did not come with a manual(if anyone know where to get one free online that would be wonderful). I was wondering what type of maintence is normal for 50 - 60k. I plan on taking it in for a tune up and scheculed maintnence I just want to know what to expect.

2. I want to get a bikini top for it and from what I have seen I need some type of windshield channel. Either drill in or header. I would prefer the header type. Is there a bikini that doesnt recquire a windsheild channel?

3. I plan on taking every thing off once it gets warm and was wondering if one person can take a factory hard top off or do I need some help. Also do I need side view mirrors if I take the doors off. Somone told me that I dont but I dont want to find out the hard way that he was wrong. I live in ohio if that makes a difference.

I guess thats all for now ... My head is exploding with questions but I dont want my post to be a page long.

Thanks in advance for any help.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrat's on the purchase Wink

First off don't know what to tell you about the 50-60k maintainence...other than the normal fluid and inspection stuff (obvious thing).

On the Bikini top though, there are simple bolt on header styles (which is what I have) that are easy. I don't know of one that will have the correct header attachment with it...that doesn't cost an arm and leg anyway. Do some shopping though, and you'll find you have quite a selection. I also have the dual top package, and I can tell you first hand you'll want help with the top. I've heard of guys doing it themselves, but it most certainly isn't easy. I installed a hoist a top set up in my garage to store the top and I can install/remove the top easily by myself now. I usually only run the hard top from November to Feb though. Rest of the time it's soft top, bikini, or no top.

Enjoy and take it out wheelin'. You'd be surprised at how capable it'll be completely stock.

Wink
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice purchase thumbs

I agree with everything IBTJn said, but for the removal of the doors, you can make your own mirror mounts for about $15 Write-up here

There is a lot of good information on that site, and most of his upgrades are cheap, and still function like some of the high dollar stuff.

HTH,
Stevo Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mycatsdied

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys ...

Im on my way to autozone after work for the parts i need for the mirror.

As far as the top goes I have looked around and it seems I have three choices all of which recquire a header style windsheild bracket which after some reading seems easy enough to install.

Any advice or recomendations ... I plan on only buying from bestop as from what I have read they are the best.

1. Regular type bikini top that covers the driver passenger

2. Bestop sunlighter bikini tops ... I kind of like the idea of this ... any suggestions and does anyone have one

3.The safari bikini tops that cover the front and rear passengers. Not sure if I like the look. However it would provide a little more protection if i accidently get caught in the rain.

Also will the wrench or whatever its called to remove the bolts holding the hard top on be available at autozone?

Sorry if Im not using the right words to describe things Im totally new to this.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey congrats on the new rig.

Nothing wrong with Bestop, so nothing to look out for with them. But just be carefull when ordering stuff, be very year specific other than model specific. There have been some minor changes threw the years on the TJ. The 98 to 02's are slightly different from the 03's to current. Im generalizing a little but this applies to more than just the tops and there hardware.

One of the most helpful parts catalogs you can get is from Quadratec. Thier website has lots to look at, but sign up for thier free catalog subscription. They offer great customer service. They arent always the cheapest place, sometimes yes, sometimes no, but they are a great starting point for customizing your Jeep.

Other than that Have Fun! Cool

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah....

You will be able to get a set of TORX sockets and screwdrivers from any of the big auto places. Im almost positive that mine came from Autozone. Invest in both the socket and screwdriver types, you will need them.

And getting back to year specific parts, most 98 to current parts are interchangable. I didnt want to make it sound as if 98-02 were different from 03 current. There are some none swapable parts due to tcase and skid changes over the years but most are swapable.

mycatsdied

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: working it out Reply with quote

Well after a trip to a local auto parts store I wa able to come up with the torx socket set but no screw driver. Also I was able to come up with all the parts for the side view mirror write up except the 2 nylon washers and the mirror itself. I will try autozone tomarrow.

Also I got invited to go wheeling with someone I work with. i am wondering if there is anything I should be aware of before I hit a trail with a 100% stock 99 tj sport. I have done a minimal amount of off road stuff with my girlfreinds 97 SE but I want to take as many precautions as possible to make sure my baby dives away in one piece. This is my DD and I cant really afford to much repair work.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone stock Jeeps are amazing offroad. There like little tanks. Its hard to say what to look out for, let your friend lead the way and tell you what you can or cant do.

What kind of offroading are you gonna do? Forrest trails? Mud? Sand? Rocks? Will you be climbing over obstacles?

IF mudding....I hate mud btw....dont go in anything to deep unless you or your friend has a winch or some decent method of snatching a stuck Jeep. And also mud gets into EVERYTHING and needs to be cleaned ASAP or risk the chance of doing drivetrain damage.

kygreenyj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: working it out Reply with quote

mycatsdied wrote:

Also I got invited to go wheeling with someone I work with. i am wondering if there is anything I should be aware of before I hit a trail with a 100% stock 99 tj sport. I have done a minimal amount of off road stuff with my girlfreinds 97 SE but I want to take as many precautions as possible to make sure my baby dives away in one piece. This is my DD and I cant really afford to much repair work.

hey let me know when you all are going, im asumeing with kogler (sp?) I'll come out with the stock TJ's and see what you all can do. Very Happy

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
mycatsdied

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: yea Reply with quote

Whats up matt ... one or two t's I forget

yea it was koegler. He said once it dries up a little hes planning on going. I let you know but I dont really have any idea on when he is planning on going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: