Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeeperman Single Hoop Bumper 46"+ 60" Version

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Jeeperman Single Hoop Bumper 46"+ 60" Version Reply with quote

First of all, thanks to JaySea and Code3TJ for recomending Jeeperman bumpers way back when. Thanks to 'drack, Outlaw, and JaySea again for goading me into installing this thing during sub-artic conditions....my fingers are still numb. I hope your all Happy Mr. Green

I had been hearing about Jeeperman products ever since buying my first TJ. I had looked at many bumpers from alot of different sources and talked to or emailed alot of Jeep folks asking thier opinion on different brands out there. I heard both good and bad on the different ones except Jeeperman. All good comments. I was now ready to order.

That brings us to Raingler.com. Raingler shiped out my bumper very quickly, concidering it was the Christmas and New Years holidays, everything I ordered was in stock and shipped right out. The front bumper I ordered was one of there stock 46" single hoop w/black powdercoat finish.

2 things that are quite apparent when I received the cardboard cartons from Fedex.
#1 The folks at Jeeperman/Raingler really want the purchaser to put the first scratches on thier bumper. It came in a strapped double walled heavy duty cardboard carton. The bumper inside is wrapped in foam shipping cloth.

#2 The folks that manufacture these bumpers take alot of pride in their own work and it shows in the quality product they put out.

Tools you will need
T55 star socket for the bumper bolts
Breaker Bar helps, the bolts are real tight
13mm wrench or socket...this is if you have fog lights mounted
10mm wrench or socket for removing the swaybar trim cover.

This is a real easy swap. The OEM bolts were a little stubborn but the breaker bar and a little elbow grease loosened them right up. Heres how it looked when I started. It was just a matter of removing the 6 bumper bolts, the fog lamps and the swaybar trim cover. It took @15 minutes to remove everything.

The Jeeperman feels like its at least twice the weight of the stocker. Just pick it up and set it where the stocker was. Line up the holes with the frame and put a couple of the bolts in so that it wont slip back of the frame. I then used some Red locktight on the threads of all the bolts and started all 6 back in. You will re-use the OEM bolts, so hopefully you didnt lose them. There isnt any adjusting to do, just start tightening the bolts. I snugged them first and then started tightening them, one side at a time. Bottom first and then the top. Working back and forth sort of pinches the bumper onto the frame while tightening. No torque specs come with them, so I set them at 75ft pounds.

The Jeeperman comes winch ready with its own built in winch plate and fairlead mount. Plenty of other holes and mounts for lighting systems or hi-lift mounting.

When I went to mount the OEM bumper mounted fog lamps, I found that there wire leads were to short so that they didnt have the length to reach the new bumper. What I did for now and will fix when the weather gets better was to pull the clip holding the wire loom up under the fender loose and wire tied it in place for now. Its up out of the way from harm and allowed me to mount the lamps on the new bumper.

Also included are 2 3/4" d-mounts welded from both sides. I took styling cues from JaySea and the shackles got coated with yellow tool dip. Here is the finished product.

Helpful links to this great product. Raingler.com and Jeeperman

Also, I found that it was very difficult to locate the D-ring shackles locally. Either I couldnt find anything larger than 1/2" or when I did find the size I wanted, they were wayyyy to expensive($20ea.) or they were imported and unrated which could lead to a dangerous situation.

I located the ones I wanted online from McMaster-Carr who are a national industrial hardware company. The Bumper is set up to take 3/4" pins. Dont order 3/4" shackles, they have 7/8" pins. I ordered part #3663T43 which is a 10,000 pound rated 5/8" shackle w/3/4" pin. They were only $9.07 each and @ $10 each delivered to my door. That order arrived in 2 days.

edit..PAJeeper caught a typo on my part for the 5/8" shackle. I mistakenly listed part #3663T42, should have been #3663T43 as corrected above. Sorry for any inconveinence caused. Thanks Mike for pointing it out......Todd

Anybody need a bumper?

PAJeeper's 60" Jeeperman Single Hoop

Being quite fond of the shape of my fenders I decided to go with the 60" version of the Jeeperman Single Hoop Bumper. It projects just far enough to protect the fenders from any tree that may jump out at me. The extended version is only $25 extra which didn't break my piggy bank. I ordered the bumper online from Raingler.com, extremely painless. I ordered on a Thursday and had it in my hands the following Tuesday. I have a Skid Row Steering Box Skid, no problems were encountered with this additional armour. I followed Todd's write up and bought the shackles from McMaster-Carr. I ordered the tool dip paint from there as well. I chose red paint to match the Jeep. I also followed JaySea's sugggestion and cut down the front swaybar cover and refitted it afterwards.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's

Last edited by WhatWasIThinkin on Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:18 am; edited 3 times in total
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up Todd. I'm convinced.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great writeup dude Smile . Still leaning towards one of those whenever I mangle the old/new stocker I have. See lots of good came outta this, you got some frostbite to keep ya all tingly for days, a new measuring device for snow in the backyard (you're ready to do internet weather reports now), and one helluva bumper. Aren't ya glad we goad eyebrows ?
JaySea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay...what can I say i'm so proud of you Laugh Wink

Looks great on there believe me you wont be disapointed Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

email jeeperman@raingler.com if you need Jeeperman decals, JaySea, you wear yours out yet? Razz Looks great, nice new look for the TJ I think.
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd, kindly allowed me to add my write to his excellent offering. Mr. Green
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look good on there Mike Very Happy

The tool dip stuff is cool. I new that spray paint wouldnt stay on the galvinized shackles. I sold that stuff for years but never tryed it. It will never hold up to a chain or cable, but its easy enough to recoat Very Happy

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: